Sunday, March 20, 2016

Caves, Shells, and Cocoons: Moving Out of Darkness

I had an interesting insight this past week.  While attending a panel discussion on Muslim Voices Against Extremism, I witnessed a number of audience members camouflaging what seemed like opinions and biases in the form of questions.  Some questions sounded accusatory, not exploratory; seemed to attack Muslim beliefs, rather than seeking understanding; and sought to lay blame, instead of opening dialogue.  I felt embarrassed - and guilty!

What was interesting and insightful?  I found that what stirred within me was anger at "these short-sighted people" who became vocal during the Q&A session.  I instantly labeled the Questioner as being extreme in their views: not creating an environment of dialogue, but universally attributing extremist views to Islamic teachings.

As I explored my thoughts and reactions, I became aware of my own extremist thoughts and reactions: anger; labeling; not listening to another view; not wanting to know about another way of seeing a situation!  Questions I pondered:
  • How often do I label people because their beliefs differ from my own?
  • How often do I view the world through my own narrow lenses and definitions?
  • When do I feel confined by the darkness of my assumptions, opinions, and life story?
Is there an opening where we can see anew?
The importance of this self-exploration is the awareness that we are human and can be trapped by the shells of family, culture, education... or our own lack of education!  Noticing knee-jerk reactions and realizing that we have a choice in how to respond to people with differing experiences and worldviews begins the process of breaking through, seeing beyond, these shells that protect and separate us.

We are not alone when we break out of our shells!
In this Spring season and during these holy days celebrated by many peoples and religions, we encounter a number of images and symbols that portray new and transformed life.  A dynamic and contemplative dialogue draws forth renewal as we take a long, loving look at the real.

This long and loving look invites us to collectively exam our interactions between Self and Others... and Self among OthersI am learning each day how difficult this internal transformation is, the awareness and examination of extreme views that bind me and hinder me from the journey that requires us to be in relationship.  Patience is important for all of us as we test our wings!

What new beauty awaits us when we emerge?
These images of Springtime and holiness inspire us along this journey: we may not have arrived... yet... but the exploration of the beauty that surrounds us encourages movement  away from our own versions of extremism, to accept the reality of who we are now, and to willingly move forward to whom we will become together.

I believe that we are called to move away from the views that separate us to a way of life that we both can accept.  The beauty is when we are all part of the landscape, respecting the differences brought to the overall view of Creation.

Spring Flowers (Goco Center for Aesthetics)
A final thought for this week: have you noticed that even at times when life seems dark or uncertain, there are areas where our being tries to focus on light and color?  The darkness and lightness, the void and the color, contrast one with the other.  It is as if we are called to seek brightness and color rather than remain in the darkness and shadowsAnd, as we notice the light, the darkness fades and the colors become more vibrant.

Blessings to you this new season of Spring (Northern Hemisphere):  may the colors and new life of this season transform you!  And for friends below the equator, as you enter your Fall months, enjoy the transitions that await you!

In all seasons, let us seek the transformations that will invite color and lightness!
 
Larry Gardepie

No comments:

Post a Comment