Sunday, November 8, 2020

Facts or...

I've always enjoyed math and science!  There is something reassuring when math problems have solutions, and where we can explore questions about our world.  For me, having some level of trust in math and science became very real this past Friday: I found myself in the Emergency Room!

Professionalism, education, and compassion came together as doctors and nurses provided care and reassurance as they observed, asked questions, and applied their knowledge to my situation.

I am home and doing well, but I am left with many questions about this World Divided, a world needing and seeking healing.



When are facts real?
Click on comic to to enlarge

(Photo credit: Family Circus by Bill Keane, 10/28/20)


 
For instance, I wonder about:

  • Can we have a dialogue about the facts?  (As Billy asks his mother, "Will two plus two always equal four?")
  • How can we listen to another person's experience... without minimizing that experience?
  • Are we willing to be patient as we explore questions and situations where solutions may be very complex and seemingly elusive?

And, what happens when we receive new information that has the potential to change our perceptions:
  • Are we able to  change our conclusions about that person or situation?

What happens when your definitions are challenged?
Click on comic strip to enlarge

(Photo credit:  Pickles by Brian Crane, 10/26/20)

 

Rather than readily -- or automatically -- absorbing another person's opinions or social posts, maybe the challenge is to become personally engaged in the process of curiosity:
  • What don't I know?
  • Can I become open towards exploration?
  • Am I willing to Birth the Truth that emerges from our relationship?


How do you adjust your perceptions?
Click on comic to enlarge

(Photo credit  Pluggers by Rick McKee, 10/16/20)


Moving through my ER experience this week, I could not rely on my general knowledge of math and science.  Instead, I realized that healing in my situation required that I trust the people who have pursued medical solutions.  I was not asked to give up my role in my recovery.  Listening to their knowledge and experience, I was being educated on how my life could improve.  I had a choice: am I willing to listen, learn, and heal?
 
As we move past Election 2020, the Dialogue invitation is similar:  to practice -- to try on -- the attributes of:
  • Humility:  I don't have all the answers.
  • Exploration:  I am open to new possibilities.
  • Acceptance:  I am willing to change my perspective.
  • Loving:  I care for and can show compassion towards all people.
 
Healing
will take place if we work together to build up... rather than tear down.
 
 
May peace reign in our hearts this week! 
 
 
Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

 


 


4 comments:

  1. I love the HEAL acronym. Brilliant!
    Hope you are all better after your ER experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! As you can guess, "healing" was on my mind when I wrote this week's posting! I am well... have follow-up tests to schedule... but all is well. Life is good!

      Delete
  2. Yes, the HEAL acronym is brilliant, as Debbie Baker commented. And, I might add, particularly apt at this time in our country's odyssey. Larry, I'm glad to learn that you are alright. Praying that all goes well with follow-up tests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I hope you and Patrick are doing well!

      Delete