When I do remember to slow down, check out what I notice, and ask questions to clarify what I have seen or heard, there seems to be a calmness and a shimmering lightness upon the waters which nourish my life. And, there is a sharper focus to the relationships I have with myself and with others.
Over these past two years, I have noticed something else about myself: I have a tendency sometimes to worry about the dark storm clouds that gather on the horizon or I become distracted by the white caps of the rough waters that surround me.
I am learning that when I practice noticing and awareness in the calm waters, these skills come more readily as I move ahead. The lessons I learn propel me forward and I no longer focus on the wake behind me.
As we begin this week's journey dawning before us, I would propose the following questions as guides:
- What keeps me from slowing down and noticing?
- When - or with whom - do I notice shimmering light or stormy darkness upon the waters of my life? (What relationships are smooth or which are more turbulent?)
- As I slow down and notice these relationships, how can I observe, listen, and ask questions to better understand the other person?
And, at the end of the day:
- What did I do this day that created a difference?
- Where did I bring energy and beauty into this world?
May your journey this week be full of new adventures!