Attending Scott's memorial service this weekend, I have been wondering about how my life has changed due to well-timed questions offered by colleagues, friends and loved ones. Scott's question was asked over twenty years ago, yet my journey of Making It Happen continues to unfold and change my life. Unlike earlier, I am now aware that I must listen... and answer... from the heart.
|A Tribute to Those Who Listen|
It seems that our various roles and responsibilities restrict us to viewing limited facets of the Whole. In other words, as we pass through these lives, we may come to understand only a fraction of what others think and feel. New questions begin to emerge: "Who are you?" and "What lives on?"
|A Tribute to the Varied Paths We Take|
- After a Loved One dies?
- At the end of each day?
- When we leave a meeting or interaction with others?
|A Tribute to Those Who Encourage|
and Journey with Us
Scott's passing through my life brings to mind two wonderful images:
- We are a tapestry of many threads woven together to create a colorful portrait greater than any single one-color thread.
- We are involved in a friendly paintball game, where we each splash the other with the primary colors of our lives; and we are forever changed as we are touched by and take on another participant's colorful life!
|A Tribute to Those who Challenge Us|
to Go Deeper
- Call forth names and memories of mentors and friends who have inspired you.
- Identify the changes in your life drawn forth by these people.
- Acknowledge and pay tribute this week in a way that honors you and them.
(Examples: journal about or pray for these people; call or send thank yous to them; share the questions and what you have learned.)
May we be thankful for our mentors, colleagues, friends and loved ones -- those whose lives are intertwined with ours!
Dialogue San Diego Consulting