Sunday, May 28, 2017

In Memoriam: Sacredness of Life

Two lives, reaching out.  Two lives, assisting others.  Two lives, connected, cut short... too early.

The heroics of our World-in-Tragedy were on display in Portland this past week:  several people attempted to stop hate-filled language and actions targeted at innocent lives.  I have ridden on Portland's MAX light-rail system many times, never dreaming that my life would be in danger.  Many of MAX's rush hour commuters may have felt the same.  But Friday's incident, along with many others across the country in recent months, points to the fragile balance of our lives: how we must trust one another in order to remain safe.

Life is delicate, like dewdrops on a bud unfolding

It is as if a modern version of Pandora's Box is being played out in our time: when I pull back and fear others, I allow the evils of the world to consume me; when we pull together, reach out and assist, we are gifted and blessed by the heroics of good will.  In the self-focused state, like the Pandora myth, one gift remains in the box unnoticed... Hope.  When we notice and experience the Sacred Worth and Value of Self and Other, the Hope grows and blossoms!

As I reflect on my Past, I notice a range of happy and sad moments, each opening me to a lesson about Self and Other.  Stepping into today, I walk among those petals of yesterday's flowers, seeking to learn from what the Present now brings.  And moving into tomorrow, I see blossoms waiting to open... Hope!

It is as if we have an opportunity in the present to re-assemble the truths of the past and imagine what might lie ahead... with the hope that tomorrow can be better!  It is as if yesterday, today and tomorrow hang lightly... joined together by a delicate thread of Hope and Trust.  It is as if we each have a Choice... to live in Fear and Despair or in Hope and Trust.  It is as if Choice intersects and connects the Both-And of Past, Present, and Future.  We have the ability to change!


Life is a series of individual
-- but connected -- moments:
each flower opening in its own time

Recently, I noticed a bird feeder in my friend's garden:  two hands outstretched; two birds nestled together at where the hands come together.  In this period of heroic tragedy, I wonder if this feeder could represent a choice before us:  two hands (yours and mine), reaching out, assisting others, connected; two birds (us), not in flight but connected in trust and hope.  The birds seem ready to feed on what is being offered.

My hope this week is that we consider the following questions:
  • In what ways do I live in trust and hope?  How might I choose to strengthen these values?
  • Do the words I speak and the dialogue I practice bring us together?  How might I choose to live words of heroism?
  • Can I hold lightly the diversity I encounter?  How might I seek the gifts offered?

Life is the act of holding lightly,
past memories, present moments, and future dreams

Two lives (ours), reaching out.  Two lives (ours), assisting others.  Two lives (ours), lengthened by the sacredness that connects and strengthens us.

May we hold lightly and sacredly this Memorial Day, remembering everyone who has sacrificed their lives for us, heroes believing and working towards the Hope of a better day!

Larry Gardepie
Dialogue San Diego Consulting

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful memoriam Larry. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Debbie! I was deeply moved by our fellow travelers in Portland. Hope to you this week!

    ReplyDelete