Sunday, May 31, 2020

Etching a Dialogue Sketch

I don't know about you, but these weeks at home have provided some time for reflection:
  • What do I miss about my normal life?
  • Who would I want to spend time with?
  • What will the post-COVID world be like? 

Images of childhood friends and games have been surfacing as well!  One toy I miss the most right now is the Etch-A-Sketch!

Are you curious about what can be created?
(Photo credit: Etch A Sketch, Spin Master, Wikipedia)

Remember starting with a blank screen and using one knob to move left-right and the other knob up-down?  Simultaneous action on both knobs created diagonal lines, circles, and arcs.  And, there was always the option to turn the tablet over, shake several times,  and start over.  An earlier creation was erased.  A blank screen allowed countless hours of imagining, experimenting, and creating.

Creating.  Erasing.  Starting anew.

The Etch-A-Sketch was normally a solitary activity, but sometimes siblings or friends and I would share the knobs:  one person moving left-right, the other up-down; sharing ideas on how to create various objects or scenes.  In a sense, we were learning how to listen, adjust to what another person envisioned, and see if we could create a picture together.

Do we have the courage, brains, and heart to listen?
(Photo credit:  15 Amazing Etch-A-Sketch Creations, Huffpost)

As I have grown older, I wonder:
  • When do I release the knobs that control my actions?
  • Do I invite others to share in the creation of life's events?
  • Can I trust the vision and experiences of Loved Ones, colleagues, and friends?

Lessons learned in childhood may still be relevant today!

Do I notice what is unfolding around me?
(Photo credit:  California Superbloom, Jay Ramstead - March 2019)

The invitation, as our lives begin to re-open, is in Creating, Erasing, and Starting Anew:
  • Creating space to listen to others.
  • Erasing aspects of the past normal that we don't want to repeat.
  • Starting Anew in how we share the controls with others.

Rather than getting back to normal, maybe our challenge is to show up with courage, wisdom, and caring... seeking to listen, finding better ways to respond, and regaining trust.

 
Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment