Sunday, September 3, 2023

How We See -- What We Remember

I have almost 65,000 photos saved on my "smart phone"!  They showcase family, friends, travels, and adventures over my lifetime.  How often do I look at them?  Periodically, I go back to a certain time or event to Re-Member the people who are no longer present -- reconnecting and being grateful for how their lives shaped mine.  At times I want to Re-Enjoy an area of the world I spent vacation time -- recalling the beauty of distant lands, peoples, and cultures.

These photos are a glimpse of how I have seen and experienced my life and those who have shared theirs with me.  I am sure you have similar ways to Re-Live your life!

What do you see?
(Photo: Ceramic Tile - Larry Gardepie)

What is interesting about these photos, though, is how my Mind's Eye has changed over time -- that is, the perspective of viewing earlier stages of Life.  Looking at one photo I might wonder what was so important that I wanted to capture and save that image!  A piece of tile with wavy lines turns into an eye if it is framed in a certain way.

Childhood photos with my first film-camera portray childhood perspectives -- and reveal my height at the time!  With film-cameras we had to be judicious on how many photos we could take -- film was expensive and we didn't know if the image would turn out the way we expected.  I remember being more careful in what to capture and imprint.

How do you see the world?
~ ~ Click on image to enlarge ~ ~
(Photo Credit, Pearls Before Swine, August 25, 2023 - Stephan Pastis)

Now, with digital cameras and "smart phones," we can take as many photos as the memory can hold -- and we can instantly delete images that are blurry or didn't turn out as we had hoped.

Time, perspective, capturing and deleting -- all are caught in these 65,000 images saved in a "Cloud" somewhere!

How do you want to be seen?
(Photo credit: downloaded from Facebook - Anonymous)

What does this have to do with dialogue, you might ask?  Everything!  Our mind's eye captures countless images and thoughts throughout the day -- filtered through time and perspective; captured and remembered in the reality of our relationships and beliefs.  

Problems we face, though, in this fast-paced world: we no longer wait for the image (or thought) to be fully developed; we assume we know the outcome; and we don't always take time to talk through what we saw, heard or experienced.  That is, we don't reflect on and delete those encounters that are blurry -- those distortions that harm our relationships.

Just think... If I have almost 65,000 stored photos of family, friends, travels, and adventures, I wonder:

  • How many other memories have been stored?
  • Which stories and conclusions need to be revisited?
  • Am I willing to delete what is blurry and abnormal?

A question we might consider this week:  how can our stored perspectives be moved from Abnormal to Extraordinary?


Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)


 


No comments:

Post a Comment