Saturday, February 10, 2024

Habits of the Mind

Going through childhood photos, I came across the 1967-1968 faculty picture from my elementary school years.  Besides recognizing most of the teachers, I noticed how the clothes easily identified the Priests and Religious Sisters. The black clerical shirts of the priests and the wimples (modest head coverings) and habits of our teaching Sisters set them apart from the rest of the adults in our lives.

Habits tend to do that:  when behavior patterns are followed regularly, they become almost voluntary and distinguish us from others around us.

What sets you apart from others?
(Photo: Madonna del Sasso School - Faculty 1967-1968)

These early memories and the topic of habits swirled in my head this week:  wondering what habits I have taken on, which distinguish me from my friends and family, and are some almost voluntary?

We sometimes hear that it takes 21 days to change a habit:  the willingness to learn and relearn; the ability to master a new way of being; and the transition into an ease or involuntary behavior.  What habits are you willing to remaster and transition away from?

Which of your "small habits" produce huge results?
~ ~ Click on image to enlarge ~ ~
(Photo credit: Small Habits - Facebook download)

I have to admit, I am tired of the negativity and critical nature of our world right now.  There are MANY good things happening around us, but these stories tend to be drowned out by sensational news cycles that focus on doom, destruction, and chaos.  Sometimes I feel helpless in combating the direction our society is going.

Maybe that's why I am focused on habits this week:

  • What am I contributing towards the common good and well-being of others?
  • How might I show acts of compassion and kindness?
  • Can I learn and relearn new Ways of Being in this world?

How do you make the world a better place?
~ ~ Click on image to enlarge ~ ~

(Photo credit:  Results of Kindness - Facebook download)

Many of us have heard or been exposed to the concepts of Ash Wednesday and Lent -- either through church practices or Mardi Gras/Carnival/Carnivale celebrations.  Beginning on Ash Wednesday, people tend to give up something during these 40 days of Lent.
 
What would it be like if we collectively focused on adding in acts of kindness, showing goodwill, and being generous of spirit towards others for the next six weeks?  Just think of the positive energy that would be generated!
 
Rather than focusing on the results of Super Tuesday and March Madness, maybe we could celebrate Habits of the Mind that contribute to kindness and compassion!
 
Just wondering...  what do you think?

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment