Saturday, October 5, 2024

Thoughts of Blue

I joined a faith-based student group while in college.  One evening the seminary student who facilitated us asked, "What color is God?"  The majority of people answered, "White" -- primarily based on art work and photos they had seen since childhood of God sitting on a throne among the clouds.

I sat and listened, embarrassed that my Unspoken Answer sounded silly.  Brad eventually called on me, and I blurted out "Blue!"

How do you color the world?
(Photo: Feathery Clouds - Larry Gardepie)

No one laughed, but I still blushed.  Brad was staring at me and asked me why... something he had not asked anyone else.  I told him how blue filled the heavenly skies and, on a sunny day, reflected itself in the waters of the earth.  It was everywhere... which speaks of God's omnipresence.

Brad smiled, and then went on to the people around me.  At the end of our group meeting, he made a point of coming up to me to talk.

Do you reflect the world's beauty in your daily actions?
(Photo: Ocean Blue - Larry Gardepie)

He noticed that I was shy and quiet in large group settings, and very rarely spoke up.  He then complimented me on my answer to the question -- how original and thoughtful.  He then asked if he had my permission to call on me more often.

It was the beginning of belonging, acceptance of my inner thoughts, and that I had something to offer.  Brad broke through my introversion... through his questions and the respect he offered.

What emerges when we accept others?
(Photo:  Sea of Cortez Sunset - Larry Gardepie)

I still experience God as blue because of God's expansiveness:  we experience God's presence everywhere!  I have learned to trust myself -- and others!  We have something to offer one another.  Sometimes our thoughts may sound different, but they are not silly.

We have a choice to expand our understanding and experiences of this wonderful world.  We can only do that when:

  • Leaders listen, draw us out from what limits us, and respect us.
  • We accept the challenge to share our thoughts, listen to others, and respect them.
  • We reflect our Sacred Worth and Value -- the God-ness -- that is ever present.


Here's to a Blue and Expansive Week ahead!


Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Larry for once again sharing your vulnerability. The seemingly simple answer of the color blue to a thought provoking question by a seminarian, blossomed into a spiritual truth similar to our brother in Christ, St. Francis. St. Francis reminds us that God is found in all of creation and is only truly experienced in and through a Godly love. Thank you Larry for reminding me of this eternal and life giving reality. May the Peace of Christ continue to bless us through your gracious thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Kim… thanks for your thoughts! God is good… our lives are good! We are invited into a journey of Truth, faith, trust, and vulnerability. I have been blessed with faithful mentors who have modeled Love-in-Action.

      Delete