Monday, April 4, 2016

Inquiry: Questions that Reduce the Waves

I am constantly amazed at how easily I can give an opinion... but how difficult it is sometimes to ask a question!  I appreciate the humor in a recent Pickles comic strip noting the difference between the generations.

Pickles (Brian Crane, Mar 15,2016): Click on link for a larger view.
I wonder what happened to that earlier Inquisitive Me and what created the Protective Me?  Is it a matter that I have run out of questions?  Or have I lost the sense of curiosity about the world and the people that surround me?  I know that I care for people and they care for me, but what hinders me from learning more about their lives, their thoughts, their hopes and dreams?

Path isn't a straight line (OzoneBabys-Temple)
The invitation in dialogue is the ability to slow down, notice, check out assumptions and conclusions... and ask questions about, inquire into, other possibilities.  This Practice - slowing down, noticing and inquiring - draws forth Moments of Wonder, the entrance to a path of upward possibilities.  It is the ability to redo, rewonder, and rediscover deeper truths!  It is a treasure hunt hidden below the dark surface of Self and Other, waiting to be discovered and shared!

I would assume that at times all of our lives encounter "rough waters" in some form, waves that flow over us, causing either disturbance and harm or cleansing and renewal.  Slowing down offers us choices:  yes, the wave may appear to be destructive but it can also move us to new placesAre we choosing to focus on the wave and the possible danger or on the movement and potential change?

Making Waves!
The world offers us opportunities to journey along this upward Spiral Path, to ride the waves together, and to reach out and become curious about the Other - you and me together!

Searching for and Accepting Help

As we encounter the vast ocean of possibilities, inquiry can shine light on the path before us.  Once we allow questions to surface, we reveal what is happening within: the ability to become humble; to listen to what we don't know; and to seek answers through the lives shared by family, friends, and new acquaintances.  We become Strangers No More. 
 
Opening our minds: new light, new insights
As we begin this new week:
  • What questions are most important today?
  • What is blocking you from asking those questions?
  • Who around you has the answers to guide your paths together? 

Best wishes as we ride the waves of momentum forward and seek the treasures we are!

Larry Gardepie

No comments:

Post a Comment