Sunday, February 19, 2017

When Your Day Doesn't Go As Planned

I am sure you've had days where it seems nothing goes quite like what you had planned or hoped for!  Well, let me tell you about one of my days... and what helped me survive!

Two days before leaving for an extended trip, I had mentally figured out what needed to get done and how much time it would take.  The steps were all do-able: the path was clear ahead.
 
The path looks clear, but...
One of the tasks was to stop by the pharmacy to pick up a prescription.  When I arrived, I discovered the pharmacist had not received the prescription from my doctor's office.  It was a Saturday!  I contacted the nurse on duty to explain the situation.  She took the relevant information, then she contacted the assigned weekend doctor.  He would not authorize the prescription without me going to Urgent Care to be seen by a doctor... even though I had been at my doctor's the previous day.

After driving to Urgent Care, signing in, waiting, being admitted to an exam room, waiting, explaining the situation to the doctor, going through the exam, and receiving the prescription, I was now back at the pharmacy... to find out the pharmacist was on a break for the next 30 minutesMore waiting!  Almost three hours after the initial errand to pick up the prescription, I had the medication in hand.  Nothing earth-shattering, but now it was time to pick up the pieces of shattered plans and less time to prepare for the upcoming trip.

Yes, I am sure you can match this story with several of your own!  But the real question for all of us isn't how to survive these detours, but how we might thrive in this ever-changing and complex world?  How do we practice dialogue by remaining in the stances (Contemplative Dialogue: contemplative noticing or mindfulness, nondefended learning, and nonviolence; Dynamic Dialogue: awareness, compassion, creative freedom, and interdependence)?


There are many options to redirect us...
I can assure you, at the beginning of this 3-hour journey, I was being challenged by anger, frustration, blame and a myriad of other thoughts and emotions.  It wasn't until I was driving to Urgent Care that I had time to slow down and reflect on the situation: the pharmacist's assistant who listened and did as much as she could to help; the nurse who listened and provided caring support; the doctor who rightfully did not prescribe medication without records of an earlier exam; and a dear friend who offered to pick up the travel preparations.
 
As we choose another path ahead.
I realized that I was the one having the problem.  Once I became aware of the blockage in myself, I was determined to approach the Urgent Care personnel with understanding and compassion.  Texting a loved one, taking lightly the situation, and being aware of the violence I had been causing in the pre-Urgent Care hour helped to realign my thoughts and actions.  And the day before I left town... everything was done... with time to spare... and with a thankful heart for the creative ways that others helped.  Maybe next time there is a slight detour, I might slow down earlier and realize how good life is!

Questions to ponder when we encounter the unexpected:
  • Am I focused only on my plans, thoughts, and actions?
  • Am I aware of the plans and needs of others?
  • Am I aware of how others may be  encountering similar detours and frustrations?
  • Am I willing to relax and take lightly the situation?
  • Am I willing to ask for help?  To give help?

Maybe this detour is the path we were meant to take, to meet new people, and to hear their stories! 

May the diversions from this week's planned activities provide unexpected opportunities and blessings!

Larry Gardepie
Dialogue San Diego Consulting

3 comments:

  1. Definitely can relate! It was good for you to notice your defended reactions while they were happening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Yes! Thank you for the beautiful reminder🙏

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the wonderful ways you continue to live and model the practice. It's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete