Sunday, July 9, 2017

To -ism or Not to -ism: That is the Dialog-ism Question!

This past July 4th ('Independence Day' in the United States), I decided to be a tourist in my own city!  A friend and I stayed downtown, checked out a local 'small town' parade, watched as people carved out space for BBQs and picnics, and attended the evening fireworks with 300,000+ of my closest friends!  It was fun to be outside, enjoying the warm July weather, not having deadlines to meet or work to finish... and just relaxing.

Early in the day I began to notice how many -isms were being played out:
  • Patriotism:  as people stood for the U.S. flag and cheered the military heroes.
  • Nationalism:  as people clapped for American-themed parade entries which connected with history, image, and power... but stayed quiet as a Chinese contingent marched by with their signs and a float.  (The signs and the float displayed the following words: Truthfulness, Compassion, and Tolerance.)
  • Ageism:  as elder citizens were ignored, left behind, or not served.

Overall, it was a beautiful day... if it weren't for the -isms that kept nagging at me!

Have you ever noticed:
some -isms separate or divide us?
Over the next week, I began to wonder:
  • How many -isms are there?  -- and --
  • How many -isms create division and separate us (=> schism)? 
 
(Review some of the 743 -isms listed at Vocabulary.com.) 
 
I found myself reflecting on the -isms in my own life where barriers have been created between myself and others.  Sometimes, it seems as if I internally observe... and wait... wanting to point out to others where they are different or have opposing views.  It is almost like waiting for a geyser to erupt, taking pleasure at the force the -ism creates when people back away.

This thought reminded me of a trip to Iceland a few years ago.  Our busload of tourists gathered around the Strokkur geyser, counting the minutes until we needed to return to the bus.  We waited -- impatiently -- for nature to unfold!  After two eruptions, we were back on the bus... moving on.  (I learned later on that 'Strokkur' is Icelandic for 'churn.')

How often does an -ism churn in me as I wait impatiently for another person to respond within the deadlines I have created or in the manner I expect?

Have you ever noticed:
sometimes we want an -ism to erupt?
(Strokkur geyser, Iceland)
Have you experienced a time when you were walking between two people or two groups who strongly disagreed?  The energy emanating from both sides is palpable.  The -ism word itself is neutral, but how we portray and energize differing beliefs creates the positive or negative consequences.

Dialogue (dare I introduce, Dialog-ism) is a habitual practice to walk among diverse peoples, cultures, experiences, views, and beliefs... seeking to understand, seeking to introduce curiosity, and seeking to accept that differing stories can coexist.

It is similar to the experience of walking through the Icelandic rift:  realizing that both the Eurasian Plate and the North American Plate have the right to coexist.  Coming out at the other end of the rift, there is a beautiful and rugged valley where Icelandic tribes assembled in peace and formed the Althing (Icelandic: Alþingi), the Icelandic national parliament which assembled for the first time in 930 and is the world's oldest parliament.

The -ism that erupts and provides energy can bring wisdom and a new way of being if we but notice, learn to walk together through the rifts that divide, and seek the richness that exists when we assemble with others.  Through dialogue practice, rifts that separate can be transformed into places to assemble, listen, and understand.

Have you noticed: sometimes we are challenged to walk between -isms?
(Þingvellir National Park, Iceland:  where you can walk
between the Eurasian and North American Plates)

Questions to consider this week:
  • What -ism am I noticing around me?
  • Do I identify with one view over another?
  • How might I slow down, listen, and ask questions about all views?

May this week provide Dialog-ism Rift Moments: where we walk through openings that bring understanding, healing, and forgiveness in places we have carved out, places where we have been separated for too long!


 
Larry Gardepie
Dialogue San Diego Consulting

No comments:

Post a Comment