Sunday, June 17, 2018

The Tireless Pursuit of All Things...

Mission and vision statements...  corporate and personal.  Have you ever been asked to participate in the creation or revision of proclamations that describe shared or personal values and goals?  I have!

I was fascinated with my first encounter: being asked what I thought; working collaboratively to verbalize common ideals; listening deeply and accepting compromise.  The process was energizing... but also very challenging:  I could visualize the outcome but I was weaker during the constant wordsmithing to select the "perfect words" to describe who we were and wanted to become.

In later years, when invited to review and reshape earlier statements, I found that I was less energetic, more reserved, and maybe a little cynical!  Had we accomplished anything since the previous statements were articulated and communicated?  Or was this all for show:  For Outward Appearance Only?

Tireless Pursuit of... Justice and Mercy
Recently, I came across several examples where companies and people seemed to enjoy what they valued:
  •  Sitting in a neighborhood Starbucks, I noticed the following phrase artistically painted on the wall:  "The Tireless Pursuit of All Things... Coffee."  The employees at this location are attentive, helpful, and will suggest new coffee-concoctions.
  • During a get-away trip to Avalon (Catalina Island), a Los Angeles sheriff enjoyed his interaction with the tourists in town for the Memorial Day weekend.
  • Watching the end of the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon, runners and walkers seemed happy to reach the finish line... and family members and friends celebrated their achievement.

Tireless Pursuit of... Personal Best
I wonder:
  • What am I pursuing?
  • Where is my attention: perfect words or actions that reveal values I hold dear?
  • And, as a country, what are we tirelessly in pursuit of?

Tireless Pursuit of... Blending Shared Values

Through these years of dialogue training and practice, I can see instances where I have been energized by the blending together of ideas and goals.  I also recall instances where I have turned inward and haven't noticed the outward movement of Common-Unity (Community).

But, with the help of Awareness and Compassion, I am learning to hold lightly these memories of achievements and defeat, seeking instead to tirelessly pursue all things... Sacred:  You, Me, Us.  Together, the values that inwardly and outwardly bind us are worth pursuing!.

May this week provide moments when we feel the push and pull -- the blending together -- of shared and personal values!

Larry Gardepie



(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment