Sunday, December 16, 2018

Wanting to Join In: Overcoming Barriers and Rifts

Traveling through the Yukon territory, we came across Husky dog sledding at Caribou Crossing.  It was amazing to watch the energy of the adult dogs who wanted to work, to pull the sleds!  They were jumping high into the air:  "Pick me!  Pick me!"

A few yards away behind a wire fence were young puppies watching the excitement.  They too wanted to get out of their pens and join in.  The energy of the dogs mixed with the wonder of the tourists made a festive atmosphere as we watched or waited our turns to go on a dog sled ride.

Has a barrier ever kept you from joining in?
(Caribou Crossing, Yukon Territory)
As we pulled out of the parking lot, I wondered about my own life:
  • When am I excited about the work I do?
  • Do I exhibit a "Pick me!" attitude?
  • What barriers keep me from joining in?

Has a rift ever separated you from those you love?
(Mid-Atlantic Ridge in Iceland: rift between two tectonic plates)

I have noticed that my travels allow time to reflect.  I am able to slow down and connect what is happening in my day-to-day life with new sights and experiences.

This "Pick Me!" and "Joining In" reflection in the Yukon connected with an earlier trip to Iceland when we had an opportunity to walk between the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates.  The plates have caused a rift in the earth's crust, creating a valley we walked through.

When we do not understand a situation the same way or we hold firmly to our preconceived thoughts about another person, culture, or creed, rifts develop between the crustiness of our fragile relationships.  We may think that the barriers are imposed by others, but maybe we have a role in building and maintaining these barriers.

Is it time to overcome barriers and rifts?
As I reflect on the connection between these two travel moments, I have come to realize that both barriers can be overcome:
  • Yukon Territory:  the barrier had a gate which anyone could open to free the Husky puppies and allow them to join in.
  • Iceland:  the rift between the tectonic plates had a passageway that allowed us to walk between two formidable masses.

The challenge for our dialogue practices is to learn when and how to open the barriers that separate us and to find common areas between misunderstandings and confrontations where we can journey together.


As we consider everything that has happened in 2018, let us reflect on the barriers and rifts that separate us and consider ways to reach out with open hands to what awaits us in 2019!  And, as we dialogue together, may we invite and want environments of "Pick me!" and "Join in!"

Larry Gardepie


(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment