Sunday, April 21, 2019

Reaching Skyward

Watching various events unfold earlier this week, I wondered about our fractured world.  How can we bridge across the monumental divides which separate us?

For instance, how did you take in and understand:
  • The fire that consumed the spire and roof of Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris?
  • The outpouring of emotions, followed by donations and the desire to rebuild?
  • The coverage of who donated, followed by observations of the imbalance in how money is spent in our world?

One event produced strong feelings and thoughts.  One event drew some people together but divided others.  And that was only one event last week!

Reaching Skyward:
how do you compare and contrast moments in your life? 
(Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris: April 15, 2019)

As I reviewed Cathedral photos flooding social media, I noticed how I was caught up in what was happening thousands of miles away.  Today brought back memories of the Paris skyline when I visited in 2006: the monuments that stood out and above the other buildings - Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Sacré-Cœur Basilica on Montmartre ("mountain of martyrs), plus other churches and structures.  Throughout the centuries, people reached beyond their normal  routine to express something grander:  who they were; what they believed; how they wanted to be remembered.

I wondered:
  • What moments rise above my daily routine?
  • How have I contributed to my neighborhood, city, country, or world?
  • How will I -- or my generation -- be remembered?

Reaching Skyward:
how do you balance what you know with what you do not?
(Geisel Library, University of California, San Diego)

This past week I found myself working at UCSD.  So, along with scenes from far-away places, I took in images of how an academic environment inspires people to reach beyond their current knowledge and understanding.  Walking around the Geisel Library, named after Audrey and Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss), I noticed another monumental building rising above the others.  Ascending floors reached out beyond a smaller foundation, balancing on the architectural and engineering knowledge of its time.


What causes you to reach beyond, to reach skyward?

Maybe, through dialogue, we can reach beyond our rooted knowledge and beliefs, reaching skyward and blooming where we are planted.  Maybe, through invitation, we can clear out the smouldering ruins of destructive relationships, rebuilding by honoring individual core values and working toward common goals.  Maybe, through awareness, we can celebrate each others monumental moments, completing -- not competing against -- each other.

Peace to you this week!

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment