Sunday, May 19, 2019

Reflecting: What Do You See and Hear?

Walking through a Northwest rain forest, we came across a small pond that reflected the trees and surrounding landscape.  Due to the heavy overhead canopy of branches and leaves, there were times that the reflections in the pond were muted or obscured by the lack of light.  Moving into a clearing where the light broke through the trees, the reflections became more vivid and clear.

I began wondering about what I reflect:  my values?  what I believe in?  what I represent?  And what happens when I am confused or angered by opposing values and beliefs?  Do I allow the overgrowth of conflicting ideas to overshadow and obscure... or... am I willing to move to an opening that allows the reflections to become clearer?

Reflecting:  is there a canopy darkening
your view?

These musings stayed with me throughout the rest of this trip.  I boarded a train that passed by many rivers and lakes; and eventually I arrived at my destination, the Canadian Rockies  There were many opportunities to study the reflections of mountain peaks, glaciers, trees, wildlife, and human construction.

One lake had a dock area that reflected in the water.  I wondered:  am I a place of safety where people seek comfort... or... do I project a barrier which keeps people at a distance?

Reflecting:  what barriers are keeping you from arriving?

Another lake reflected distant mountains, snow, and clouds.  The further back I stepped, the closer those images seemed to draw me.  I wondered:  do I allow people to step close to see the lofty ideals and visions that draw my life.

Whatever we reflect, it seems, can change when we notice...
  • The dark moods and moments of clarity in ourselves;
  • Whether we project a haven of comfort or a barrier that signals, Stay Away;
  • Lofty ideals and visions that inspire our lives and actions.

Reflecting: how might you step back and see
a broader horizon reflected?

I wonder if our reflections are open for dialogue and conversation?  Can we ask one another:
  • I noticed your thoughts are dark today.  I wondered why?
  • Are the barriers in front of you something that I caused?
  • How might we exchange ideas that will animate one another and draw us together?

May this week open us to the reflections around us.  May we seek clarity in what we see.  May we ask questions when we don't understand.

Larry Gardepie


(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment