Sunday, December 1, 2019

Locked into My Way of Being

When was the last time that you truly listened to a loved one or friend?  Staying quiet.  Leaning in and listening intently.  Maybe asking clarifying questions.  Trying to understand.  

Some situations I find myself curious, wanting to know more.  Almost like reading a mystery novel, waiting until assumptions and facts line up.  But, no matter how well these moments go, there are plenty more where I become frustrated and disillusioned with myself... when I realize how closed off I have become.

It is as if a barrier rises up within me, locking out the possibilities of connection.

When are you locked into your way of being?
Touring the Sonoma Valley wine country recently, I came across statues of Bacchus and Ariadne holding up the entrance to the winery's events hall.  I wondered about the symbolism of supporting an opening where people gather and celebrate life.  Isn't this the goal of Dialogue?

How do you support people gathering?

Dialogue provides opportunities where we notice our locked natures, the barriers we put up, and the frustrations of being closed off from others... and... with compassion, we hold ourselves lightly.  We see who we are in that moment, and we allow transformation.  We support the belief that we don't need to remain locked in our defended fortresses.  Instead, we can support the gathering and celebration of a new Way of Being.

The key that unlocks this barrier is the willingness to see Sacred Worth and Value in Self and Others.  We may not understand, but we can still build bridges that move us beyond.

What bridges need to be built and crossed?
When I become aware of my limitations, I have a number of choices:

  • Do I want to stay locked behind closed doors?
  • Can I search for ways to unlock my situation?
  • Am I willing to support others as they change?

This week, may we seek the locks, supports, and bridges that limit or open us to new Ways of Being.  May we be willing to change and move.

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment