Sunday, January 5, 2020

Adjusting to the New Year: Diving into Contrasts

When I was younger, 2020 was the year of my retirement — so many years ahead!  Now it is 2020, and the goal posts have changed.  In the interim years, the federal retirement age changed!  Am I ready to transition to another way of life?

What does it mean to move from a contributing member of society to one who relies on the social benefits that have been contributed to for a lifetime?  How do I adjust when work colleagues are not part of my daily regimen?  When will I be able to see what is on the other side of Life’s next bridge?


How far ahead can you see?
(Photo Credit:  IKEA - Jungle Journey, Bjorksta)
Recent solar and lunar eclipses have reminded me that our universe has many examples of when one object eclipses another.  The norm of one moment is overshadowed by another, even for a brief time.

I guess as we move through various stages of our lives, it may be important to focus on what is normal and what seems to be abnormal.  In that moment of transition, we may discover something important about ourselves.


Can you see light even when your world is eclipsed?
(Photo Credit:  Sky and Telescope, Solar Eclipse 2017)

Being introverted and introspective, I have learned in these transitions that I need to share what I am thinking.  This is where my dialogue practice has helped:
  • Can I explain what I am thinking or feeling... and... listen to other perspectives?
  • Am I willing to become vulnerable... and... listen to advice? 
  • Will I test assumptions made... and... seek out the facts established?

What is on the horizon this next year?
The challenge as we adjust to any new year is creating time and space to focus on the horizon ahead: not necessarily to anticipate or plan, but to sit and enjoy the view... and welcome what comes.

May this New Year help us to retire older Ways of Thinking and transition into newer Ways of Being.  Blessed New Year to you!



Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)



No comments:

Post a Comment