Sunday, February 2, 2020

Beyond the Shadows

Over the past several years I have been traveling more than normal — for work and pleasure.  As the plane takes off and leaves the familiar scenes of home, I notice I have a mixture of anticipation and curiosity:
  • What will be the outcome of this work assignment or vacation? 
  • Who will I meet that will change my outlook on life? 
  • What lessons will be learned? 

As I stare out the airplane window, I see what is familiar beginning to blend with new sites... and insights.

Can you see beyond your world?
(View above San Diego)
It is intriguing to think that as I move from city to city or meet people for the first time that I am changing:  the person who returns home is no longer the person who left.  How many of us live life with this sense of wonder and adaptability?  I know that I don’t!

It is in these moments of reflection that I realize how much our world changes.  The worries that weigh on me one day are not the same the next.  Somehow solutions, understanding or acceptance have allowed me to let go of what earlier seemed unchangeable.


What is weighing on you?
(Tropical storm over Panama City)
Life is a series of challenges and lessons learned, ways for us to measure our growth.  I find that when I share my observations with others, it opens the door to hear another person's experiences.  Life is not the same for any of us, and for me to impose my world on others is unreal... and unjust.  This form of Living Dialogue allows me to learn faster... and to accept the burdens weighing on others.

Can you see life’s beauty by the end of your day?
(Sunset over Puntarenas Bay, Costa Rica)
Living in San Diego, it is always a special treat to end the day near the beach.  The rhythm of the ocean waves breaking on the shoreline as the sun sets reminds me of the passage of time:  the rhythm of life; the beauty of nature; the invitation to reflect on the goodness of life.

May this day allow us to move beyond the shadows that may darken our paths, moving away from their cool shade, and be warmed by the bright world beyond.



Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment