Sunday, July 12, 2020

Creating Sacred Space

During my travels, I have come across many sacred places:  some were made by human hands; some allowed heightened awareness of natural beauty; and others were serendipitous moments of interaction with people from other countries and cultures.  Each moment expanded my horizon, allowing me to see the world anew.

Thankful for these planned excursions and chance encounters, I wondered:
  • What have I missed...?
  • Why did I not see...?
  • How can I stay open...?

Am I open to Light brightening my Darkness?
(St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican City)

As I "stay at home" in this COVID era, I have been reflecting on these travels and lessons learned.  Each layer of 2020 seems to be calling attention to our individual responsibilities and our interconnectedness:  the Sacredness of Self and Other.

As I listen to family, friends, coworkers... and stay updated on worldly affairs, several questions rise out of my darkness:
  • What does wearing a mask symbolize?
  • How can I physically distance but stay socially connected?
  • Do I protest the inequities in our lived systems?

Do I allow colors from differing views touch me?
(Sagrada Familia, Barcelona)

One answer surfaces more than others:

Ask the other person what s/he sees, feels, thinks, and experiences.

It seems that sacredness is rooted in vulnerability.
  • Can I admit that I don't have the answer -- or that I was wrong? 
  • Am I willing to listen -- and accept another point of view?
  • Do I open myself to others -- and help them achieve their dreams?

Will I allow sacred moments to rise this day?
(Sunrise at Sea)

Dialogue invites us to create safe spaces -- Sacred Spaces -- where we accept that each person is holy; each person has Sacred Worth and Value; and each person encounters and understands Life differently.  The value brought to Dialogue is when we slow down, listen, and say:
  • I don't understand...
  • Tell me more...
  • Help me...

As we begin each day, may we expect to learn anew, seek to understand, and embrace and share our vulnerability.

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment