Sunday, July 5, 2020

Snapshots of Freedom

Entering this holiday weekend where many local July 4th celebrations have been cancelled or scaled back, I have wondered about freedom, equality, and justice.  I usually reflect on these themes each year as I try to understand our nation's history and the current meaning of Independence.  But this year, I believe, the national and regional responses to COVID, wearing face masks, social distancing and systemic injustices have me wondering:
  • What does it mean to be Free?
  • Do we believe that we are Created Equal?
  • Are there responsibilities that come with Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness?

I looked up the definitions of these words for the first time since my 8th grade Civics class... and I was surprised at what I learned!

How do you celebrate your independence?

For instance, there were several definitions for Freedom, ranging from political or national independence to personal liberty.  Justice also had several definitions: moral principles determining conduct; rightfulness and lawfulness; conformity to principles; and administering rewards and punishment.  Liberty focused on freedom from external rule or control; independence; and rights.  Equality had the fewest definitions: the state or quality of being equal and uniform character.

What was interesting?  How intertwined these words are -- and have become -- in our individual and collective psyche.


Is justice blind when our humanity filters what we believe?

People have rightfully protested the injustices in our systems.  But, have we had a discussion or come to an understanding of what these words mean?

We have much to celebrate -- even in these uncertain times!  The ability to dialogue openly on what we experience.  The exploration of how other people define these Truths that are Self-Evident.  The discovery that equality, respect, and happiness are interconnected as we learn to listen and care for other people.  The understanding of what is self-evident.


Can we see others through the lenses of caring,
compassion and love?

This year's reflections have opened new avenues for me in the Interdependence of individual and community rights and responsibilities.  If I care for you, am concerned about you, and want the best for you then I will see us as colleagues in the pursuit of individual and common goals.  In other words, I will be free, equal, and achieve happiness only when you are free, equal, and happy!

I wonder on this Day of Independence:
  • Have I freed myself from ideas that enslave me?
  • How do we rebalance the scales of justice and equality?
  • Am I willing to align my individual rights with yours?
  • Can I seek interdepedence that opens the doors to freedom and equality for all?

What are your thoughts?
 

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)


 











A Declaration of Interdependence
Click on image to enlarge

(From LetItRipple.org, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment