Saturday, February 12, 2022

Out of Control: A Miracle

I get whacked out when a series of events go out of control all at the same time:  the domino-effect of pieces not falling into place and life becoming more complicated.  Recently, there were several weeks when everything seemed to go wrong: roof and woodwork needing repairs; online password file becoming corrupt; bundled media services on the blink; fan not working... and to top it off, the batteries in the flashlight needed to be replaced!

I don't know why, but I am always surprised when friends and work colleagues can put things back into perspective for me!  Sometimes it's as simple as sharing what is happening.  Other times I need to be nudged by a kind word, a question, or an inspirational quote.  It's the interaction of reaching out and inviting someone in that provides a pause for me to let go and accept another way of looking at a situation.

What do you do when life feels like it is falling apart?
~~ Click on photo credit link to watch video ~~
(Photo credit:  Top 5 Weirdest Dominoes
Falling Game, Viral Maniacs
)


Reflecting on my agitated state and mood, I wondered why I ever thought I had control -- or wanted to take control -- of the situation.  Normally, it takes awhile for my patience to be pushed to the breaking point.  But, when I get into a negative mood that spirals downward and my inner self is saying, "This is not you!", I need someone else to help me refocus.

That is what happened:  when my Dialogue Learning Group met, the facilitator shared a quote from Mary Davis about gratitude and miracles.  At first I couldn't feel any gratitude or see any miracles in my list of projects to complete.  As people shared what was happening in their lives, I realized how small my issues actually were.  I was focused only on my problems, the smaller pieces that make up the whole.  I needed to pull back and see the larger picture.

How often do you focus on the small parts
forgetting the whole picture??
(Photo credit:  Brick Bending, Jeff Sanders
Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/brickbending/
Facebook:  https://www.youtube.com/c/BrickBending)


Yes, what we contribute to our families, friends, and work colleagues is important, but it is the balance of recognizing their contributions and importance that is equally important.  Learning to surrender our self-focused control, holding lightly to what is happening, and allowing the dominoes to fall allows us to creatively work together on common solutions.  (And, as the domino video from the first photo shows, we can have fun along the way!)

Having a roof, the ability to protect my online systems, the fact that I have entertainment equipment, a fan, and batteries... with gratitude I now see the "thing" and not the "problem."  But gratitude continues when I realize there are people to help me through these problems: the roofers, carpenters, online technical support, family, friends, and colleagues.

Where do you find gratitude?
(Photo:  Sea of Cortez sunset, Larry Gardepie)

I am grateful in my incompetence as others with competence reach out to help!

At the end of our learning group meeting, Rayleen (the facilitator) asked us to consider a revision to Mary Davis' quote:

Through the Eyes of Gratitude Everyone is a Miracle.


May we begin to see the miracles in our lives through the eyes of gratitude!  Everyone -- and Everything -- has sacred worth and value.


Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

2 comments:

  1. Greta reflexions! Every night before my prayers I give thanks for three things in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvette, a wonderful practice... ending each day thinking of 3 things to be thankful!

      Delete