Saturday, May 7, 2022

Immersed in Beauty

I find myself continuing to process the "Beyond Van Gogh" exhibit mentioned in last week's blog.  Something happens to me when I become fully immersed in a play, movie, book, project, or discussion:  my whole being is challenged to understand the experience, and it takes awhile to release the experience.

Do you know what I mean?  That ability to transcend the physical or mental aspects of a situation and to Become One with what is happening: to cherish and Rest in Being; to release time and allow Presence to exist.

When do your thoughts and feelings linger?
(Photo:  Shadow reflected on Art,
Beyond Van Gogh, Larry Gardepie)


My memories and photos don't quite capture the inner Beauty Awakening when that moment lingers.  Eventually the distractions of life reclaim my attention and that brief boundless encounter fades.  But even as I return to normal, my heart continues its wondering:

  • What caught my attention?
  • How can I hold onto that Beauty?
  • Is there a way to nurture the longing to understand... and to be understood?

How do you take in the beauty of our world?
(Photo:  Walking among Starry Night,
Beyond Van Gogh, Larry Gardepie)

Sometimes dialogue is a practice of letting go of... preconceived ideas... memories and past hurts... what is known or not known clearly.  It is a time of waiting and noticing what is Real Now... what is beautiful and revealing in this current moment.  It is sitting at the shore side, waiting expectantly to be illuminated by the reflected light that eventually reaches us:  Now I understand!  Now I see!

Are you willing to sit, notice, and wait?
(Photo:  Sitting along the Shore,
Beyond Van Gogh, Larry Gardepie)


The "Beyond Van Gogh" exhibit still resonates in my thoughts, I believe, because it invited me to be immersed in a beauty that I don't experience every day.  I was ready.  I wanted to see.  I was in a place where I could accept something different.
 
May we find ways to seek out the Beauty of Others, to wait expectantly, and to be ready to become immersed in illumination and understanding.
 

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment