Saturday, September 10, 2022

Symbols and Meaning

Symbols fascinate me:  the way that letters and objects are infused with meaning and evoke intense emotions or responses from us.  Picture when our national flag passes and people stand out of respect, uncovering heads, and placing hands over hearts.  Or look at the letters that spell out L-O-V-E:  singularly, the letters are a way to communicate words and sentences, but when certain combinations are arranged, memories of hope or hurt rise from our heart to our mind.

Walking down a theater's stairway recently, three symbols attracted my attention:  two were light fixtures in the shape of musical instruments.  The third was off to the left and at the bottom of the stairs:  words of caution to "Watch Your Step."

What symbols are important to you?
(Photo:  theater stairway, ms Eurodam,
Larry Gardepie)

I was thinking of this image when a friend told me of her recent promotion and salary increase.  She expressed mixed feelings about this advancement in her career.  As we explored her thoughts and feelings, we discovered that salary had meaning for her:

  • It was symbolic of her value to the organization.
  • It represented the inequity of women's positions and worth.
  • It subtracted (like the minus sign/symbol in math) from what she contributed.
Being able to sit and listen to her concerns, I was overcome by the gulf that separates our lived experiences.  As a male in this society, I am sometimes unaware of the symbols and meanings that others see and feel.

What symbols unite you with others?
(Photo:  American Bald Eagle, Sitka, Alaska,
Larry Gardepie)

I can learn about symbols and accept or respect others.  I can allow symbols to connect and unite through shared meaning.  I can listen and explain what I am seeing and hearing.  But, unless I am willing to see the world in all of its concrete abstractness, I may be missing what brings you value and worth. 

Even the words that I choose and type in this blog do not inadequately embody my thoughts... and I have no control over what you might see, read, and understand. 

Still, I am fascinated by symbols... because it is amazing how so much of our world is abstract trying to find meaning and to connect.  It takes each of us to explain our thought processes and what is important!

What brings meaning to you and your family?
(Photo:  Alaska totem pole, Ketchikan,
Larry Gardepie)

Looking up at a totem pole in Ketchikan, I was wondering what this Alaskan Native was saying about his family, ancestors, and heritage.  As an outsider, I could marvel at its height and craftsmanship.  I could select certain symbols and assume meaning.  But, until I read the explanation at the base of the pole, I won't really understand the artist's intention.

Dialogue invites us into humility:  Please be patient with me.  I don't understand.  Help me.

What symbols are important to you?
 

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

1 comment:

  1. 🙏🏼✝️🕊❤️❤️‍🩹👍😪😍

    ReplyDelete