Saturday, December 17, 2022

Valuing Time, Health, Family and Friends

When I was younger, I never really thought about time... or my health... or Loved Ones.  These were always present:

  • I had enough time to do what I wanted.
  • I was relatively healthy and took care of myself.
  • I kept in touch with family and friends.

Now that I am older, things have changed:  I am aware that time is limited; a few health issues allow me to consider... that time is limited; and several Loved Ones have died and are no longer present.

What do you want to change?
~~ Click on image to enlarge ~~
(Photo credit:  Don't Forget, Madalyn Beck)


Maybe that's why I am learning to appreciate the "little things" in life.  A few months ago I came across an art display where someone took small books, ripped out or tore pages, and added miniature objects to create a scene that matched the book's storyline or theme.  How creative!  The ability to re-imagine -- to see differently -- and invite us to experience something deeper than the status quo.  Ingenious!

Where have you been creative
in your concern and love for others?
(Photo:  Book Art, Betty Pepper, Holland America - Larry Gardepie)


In the same way, wouldn't it be wonderful if we focused our limited time and well-being on those around us?  That is, look for little ways to show our appreciation and how much we value family, friends, and work colleagues.  Rather than repeating the storyline we have become accustomed, we could rip out what keeps us separated and add in objects that spotlight the value already present.

How might you express what you value?
(Photo:  Towel Swans - Larry Gardepie


In my limited time on this planet, I have come across many creative people  who have simply and ingeniously expressed care and compassion to others.  They refashion normal objects that bring smiles to others.
 
As we move through these final weeks of another holiday season and calendar year, may we consider ways to re-imagine how we use the limited time left to us:
  • Acknowledging and understanding the current storyline we tell ourselves;
  • Encouraging different ways to approach life together; and,
  • Valuing healthy relationships with friends and strangers we share this planet.
 

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

3 comments:

  1. I’m reminded of the word love; both for ourself and others. Thank you Larry and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful…and so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, always on point and sharing a valuable message. Merry Christmas! LC in Idaho

    ReplyDelete