Saturday, January 13, 2024

The Grandeur of Life

Studying geography in elementary and high schools, I could only dream of the many countries around the world.  To test our knowledge, we were given maps of continents and countries -- blank, except for the country boundaries -- and asked to name the countries and their capitals.  I wondered what those places were like:  the landscape, the people, their history, and cultures.

To add to this dreaming and wondering, I had a great grandmother who would travel with one of her friends.  She would mail postcards to my family from various locations.  I enjoyed reading and rereading her notes about her journey and looking at the beautiful pictures of faraway places.

What is on your bucket list?
(Photo: Antarctic Peninsula - Larry Gardepie, 2023)


I guess this is where my travel "bucket list" began: the dreaming, wondering, and curiosity of a young child, being influenced by teachers and family members.  Reading about and watching documentaries added to the knowledge, but the desire to travel is about something more:  it's about connection and belonging.

When I first glimpsed the approaching mountains of the Antarctic Peninsula last month, I was overwhelmed with the grandeur and beauty Only Imagined.  It's one thing to dream, study, and plan:  it's a different experience when you are fully present.

Where do you experience grandeur and awe?
(Photo: Antarctic Peninsula - Larry Gardepie, 2023)


Standing on deck of the ship, I connected my studies to my journey -- the desire to belong to Something Beyond.  And I realized that is what my dialogue journey has been about these past 10 years:  it is more than...

  • Studying and practicing dialogue skills.
  • Listening and trying to understand another perspective.
  • Noticing and becoming aware of what is happening.

It is about being Fully Present to the Grandeur and Awe of the people we encounter along this journey of life.

Who are your companions on Life's Journey?
(Photo:  Antarctic Peninsula - Larry Gardepie, 2023)


Yes, we can fill in the lines and boundaries that separate us... but can we identify what is important within those boundaries?  We can name the labels that we have given each other... but can we identify the human needs and desires that we share?  We can fulfill our individual bucket lists... but can we assist others in achieving their dreams?
 
I am learning that Dialogue is about becoming companions on this journey of connection and belonging:  we are called to seek out and be present to the Grandeur and Beauty in each person.

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

 


 


2 comments:

  1. For many of us our traveling will remain close to home yet grandeur and beauty can be found near by also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true... grandeur and beauty can be found everywhere... we have to be willing to look for it! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete