Sunday, January 17, 2016

Holding Lightly: One Step Back, Two Forward, and Feathers

This past week I attended a workshop with a number of colleagues, who I am fortunate to also call "friends".  The facilitators were highly skilled in providing a safe learning environment for exploration and discovery.  The two days were positive, and yet very challenging... especially with what I learned about myself!

I had forgotten to "hold lightly" in relation to those inner tapes and images I have about myself!  It seemed as if I was replaying everything I had hoped I had forgotten: the doubts;  the accusations; the worries.  Community is wonderful, though!  Reminders from other participants helped me to realize that any transition period or new learning experience brings low awareness within myself and with others.

On my own, I had returned to -- and held onto -- the Person-I-Was, and forgot about the Person-I-Am or the Person-I-Am-Meant-To-Become.

Am I aware of when I am holding on?  And why?
It was through these friendly reminders that I returned to noticing our Sacred Worth and Value.

Awareness of self and others moves us to Compassion and Nonviolence: the ability to hold lightly and to cherish the gift that is so precious in our hands.  Every moment provides a choice to renew the commitment to stop the violence, the violence I do to myself and others.

Can I hold lightly to what is happening?
What was encouraging about this learning experience?  The movement away from "holding on" to "holding lightly" seemed quicker than in the past.  That is why Dialogue is a "practice" -- retraining ourselves to notice anew and learn about the people and world around us!  As days pass and the workshop recedes, I continue to process the "lessons learned" -- but in a spirit of accepting and letting go of the questions and doubts that hinder my growth.

Can I let go?
Awareness brings Choice.  For this week, let us ponder the following questions, seeking out new choices in how we respond:
  • When I encounter a person who has different values or views than mine, what am I holding onto and why?
  • In what ways can I hold lightly the positions I or others hold?
  • Am I aware of past tapes, stories, positions, or images that keep me separated and at odds with others?  And, am I willing to let go and reexamine these stories and positions?
Awareness brings choice: moving away from holding on toward letting go

I offer these thoughts.  Hold them lightly.  And let me know what you think!


Larry Gardepie


No comments:

Post a Comment