Sunday, February 14, 2016

Sacredness through Flowers, Hearts, and New Seasons

Chris Argyris' Ladder of Inference invites us to slow down and notice what information we have taken in; how we have filtered facts through our familial, cultural, educational and socially constructed lenses; and how we have added assumptions and meanings.  These steps are so ingrained in us that we may not be aware or even question what is happening.

As we gain new awareness, we are called to "hold lightly" what we are noticing.  Instead of beating up or chastising ourselves and others for mistakes made or misunderstandings held, we are welcomed into new moments of clarity and curiositySlowing down and wondering invites us to consider:
  • Maybe there is another explanation for what I heard or saw.
  • Maybe there are other choices I did not consider in this situation.
  • Maybe that person is not "out to get me."

Ladder of Inference, Chris Argyris (current view courtesy of Bread of Life Center)

The Möbius Strip mentioned in earlier blogs is a symbol of the inner and outer work that occurs when we slow down; when we sit in wonder and awe; when we examine our thoughts, words, and actions; and when we decide on a new response.

Möbius Strip: working the inner and outer
For me, the experience of slowing down and wondering about a new reality is akin to holding the last days of Winter (cold, dark, short days) gently, realizing that Spring days are arriving soon, and planning for new activities in the season ahead.

It is as if the hope of this new season draws us out of despair.  New beginnings, new growth, and new life will be arriving soon!

Can this actually be May? (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)
Mindful noticing (awareness) and nonviolence toward self and others (compassion) draws forth this hope, this rebirth.  I can see the world in a new way.  I can plan my activities differently.  I can choose hope and life over fear and despair.

February in San Diego (an El Niño year!)
As I noticed the hearts and flowers for sale in the stores these past few weeks, I wondered about the rest of the year:
  • How do I show my love and support to those around me - all year long?
  • What would it take to plant seeds of trust rather than fear and doubt?
  • Where can I believe in a season of hope and life?  
Möbius Heart: choosing compassion
As we bring 'heart-work" into our cities this week, let us be like Julia in the story of St. Valentine: "Do you know what I pray for every morning and every night?  I pray that I might see?  I want to see everything that you've told me about!"  Blind since birth, it was through Valentinus' instruction, tutelage, and prayers that Julia began to see and experience her world anew.

Hearts in San Francisco (Union Square)
And so together, as we notice and hold lightly and as we plant our hearts around home and work environments this week, may we seek what is real and hopeful in the season dawning.  After all, we can choose to see anew!

From your Valentine this special day and week,


Larry Gardepie

1 comment: