Sunday, February 28, 2016

Vulnerability, Choice and Emergence

I have noticed recently that it is so easy to return to autopilot, those ways so ingrained and reactions so familiar!  All I have to do is read the morning newspaper or watch the news and political debates!  The negativity and fear emanating from these media outlets do not inspire me to dialogue!  Instead, I find that my inclination is to retreat and focus inwardprotecting myself from being hurt by a dangerous world.

In stark contrast, a few months ago while at the Mercy Center in Burlingame, I was walking around the beautiful and serene gardens and came across their labyrinth.  I am attracted to these structures: they have become for me symbols of journey and choice.
  • Am I willing to search inward for a Goal yet unknown?
  • Will I accept vulnerability over resistance and strength in order to learn and grow?
  • Can I slow down enough to seek new choices and opportunities rather than run ahead with my initial reactions?

Life is a Labyrinth (Mercy Center, Burlingame, CA)
As I struggle with turning off my Autopilot-Reactive-Self, I return to simple reminders that I have planted throughout my daily life.  On my computer desktop, I have used an electronic post-it application to call attention to: slowing down; asking how I want to show up; remembering to hold lightly who I am and how I encounter others; and developing a resource list of curiosity questions, like "Tell me more..."

And, instead of my "smart phone" running my life, I have added timely reminders to slow down, notice, and engage the world anew.  These positive alarms chime in and become a way for me to practice the dialogue skills throughout the day.

Computer Post-Its: dialogue reminders

Though I confess that I still stumble along this labyrinthian life, I know through dialogue colleagues, family and friends that I am cared for and loved.  The strength of love draws me to vulnerability and choice, to demonstrate my love and goodwill by inwardly and outwardly taking care of myself and others.  And with compassion, I move on with a desire to improve and practice anew, to choose differently.

Double-Loop Learning = Creating Choice Points

Exercising my will and desire to choose how to engage the world, I sense an emergence of a New Self from the darkness and confines of the cocoon that protected me in earlier years.  The delicate and vulnerable New Self must allow time for the sun to dry the wings; and the tentative flexing of the wings to strengthen and prepare for the journey ahead is likened to the dialogue reminders and practicing that allow a new reality to transpire.

Emergence!
Have you noticed there are many art forms which remind us that we can become something new?  We don't have to settle for the negativity, the fear, and the focus on death that pervades our world.  Instead, maybe we are called to become works of art that inspire others to set off on their own journeys of growth and renewal!

Art mimics reality: beauty created
Let us move into the Spring months ahead and pay attention to the butterflies and art forms that we encounter: symbols of new life and resurrection over the past.

Taking encouragement from this new month's name, may we march forward and become aware of buds, blossoms and new creation that is bursting forth around us!

Let us choose to do good!
 
Larry Gardepie

No comments:

Post a Comment