Sunday, February 11, 2018

What We Believe: Vintage or Current?

Technology!  Some days I love the advances made; other times I become frustrated!  I'd love to move to a deserted island with no "modern conveniences" which were meant to "make life easier!"

One of the results of our modern world is that we are required to update periodically in order to keep up.  Over the last month I replaced my Smart Phone, computer, and all of the apps and software for each device.  I found out that my earlier models were defined as "vintage" (aka, out-of-date = old).

I made two disparate decisions while moving forward:
  • Smart Phone:  use the vintage phone's back-up to restore the features I was used to.
  • Computer:  rather than use the back-up, I became judicious - manually cleaning out dated files and transferring only what was current.

As I moved from reacting to the inconvenience of the moment to broader decisions of how to move forward, I reflected on the broader process of how I choose what I believe.

What do I believe... when the world seems dark
With my electronic decisions, I realized that I had several choices:
  • Did I want to pursue the fastest approach:  replacing the devices and reloading the same information -- OR -- Could I slow down and respond in a more thought-filled way?
  • Is this the time to replace not only the device, but rethink how I use that device, cleaning out old and unused information -- AND -- Was I willing to come to different conclusions based on diverse needs and outcomes?
Another thought kept cycling through my rather vintage mind:  when I encounter unexpected moments in my life, do I put off decisions that might simplify moving forward?

What do I believe... when I am preoccupied
Note:  Click on image to expand
(Baby Blues, Rick Kirkman and Jerry Scott, January 25, 2018)
As I reviewed my computer files and emails of 8 years, I discovered that my spirit was lightened when I deleted older records of.... projects long completed; emails filed and forgotten; hopes and expectations not realized; hurts and disappointments buried in my digital storage.  Though these items may have been lost in the electronic storage, I found that my vintage mind recalled so much more... and very quickly!

I gave myself permission to rethink words and photos:  which to delete; which to keep; and which to ponder for another day.  Even though this approach seemed time consuming at the beginning, the practice of deciding when to Hold-On-and-Let-Go refocused my energy.  

Maybe it was time to uncover what had been hidden:  to release the past that was eclipsing my present.

What do I believe... when the Light is revealed
(Super Blue Blood Moon 2018)

Holding On and Letting Go:  choices and practices which lighten the Burden Carried as we encounter peoples, places, cultures and beliefs, that may be hidden, unknown, or blind spots in our experiences and memories.

Questions to consider this week:
  • What unexpected or dark moments have you encountered recently?
  • How might you slow down your first reactions and seek new responses and choices?
  • In what ways can you choose the stories you want to hold onto or let go?

May this week allow moments where vintage burdens may be lightened through new discoveries... eclipsing previous behaviors!

Larry Gardepie


(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment