Sunday, April 29, 2018

Adding Meaning: What We Want to See and Hear

Each of us filters what we see and hear through our lived experiences: lessons from family, culture, education, work, and so many other sources.  Whether we actively pursue knowledge or wisdom, we continuously absorb information, add meaning to what we have observed, and adapt.

As I stand in line at the grocery store, I observe the people ahead of me.  I notice what they are purchasing… and I unconsciously make up stories - add meaning - about who they are.

I wonder:  how much of My Story is real?

Adding Meaning:  what motivates you?
(Pickles,  by Brian Crane:  January 11, 2018)

Surfacing these Created Stories and checking them against Reality is imperative today.  

One solution is to label another person’s reality as untrue.  Don’t we all do this in one form or another?  After all, think times when:
  • You know what another person will say or do.
  • You don't want to meet with another person due to differences.
  • There are times when "we agree to disagree.”

Our individual stories, assumptions, and conclusions come up against another person's stories every day.... and we have a decision:  will I hold onto my story or will I try to understand these other stories?

It seems that knowledge and wisdom is reached when we open ourselves to what is being revealed:
  • Have I questioned my assumptions and conclusions?
  • Am I willing to ask questions and try to understand what the other person believes?
  • Is there a way to explore what was intended?
  • Can I move away from defending My Story to embracing something new?

This does not mean that one story is invalid or has to be forgotten.  Instead, the question is:  can we move to a point where both stories can be held as valid and true?


Adding Meaning: one piece at a time

What I have been discovering in this Life’s Journey is that there always seems to be a missing piece in what I have seen, heard, and understood.  It is as if the Lesson Learned at one moment in my life — my truth — is but a glimmer of a Truth that I am just beginning to understand as I grow older.  A new facet of this valuable gem is sparkling before me!

Once I let down my defensiveness, I begin to see and hear a different story: the motivation behind a friend’s actions; the intensions of goodness; the unconscious reactions or the considered responses.


In moments when I open myself, I sense an imagined Lightbulb above my head go on:  I become illuminated and the situation is transformed.


Adding Meaning:  moments of illumination

We have a choice this week to remain hooked to our individual stories… or… we can collectively decide to go beyond the surface levels of reality.  We can accept the invitation to become Explorers of Truth... to see more!  What do you think?



May this week provide opportunities that will illuminate a more expansive view of the Reality and Truth which surrounds us!


Larry Gardepie


(click on link for website)

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful article, Larry! I appreciated the reminders, thank you. Hope you are well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom... thanks for your comments! Each day is a new reminder to see anew! Hope you are well also!

      Delete