Sunday, April 8, 2018

Movement: Time for a Clear Out

Have you noticed words or phrases that sound familiar but may be used differently while watching TV shows or movies produced by other countriesThe familiarity and differences seem to balance a sense of uniqueness with being “at home” -  a newness that brings comfort and safety.

One British phrase that catches my attention is “Clear Out.”  Depending on how it is used, it doesn’t necessarily mean "Get out of my way!"  Instead, having a clear out would mean that a person is cleaning up, rearranging, giving or throwing away objects no longer needed.  It would be similar to our use of “Spring Cleaning.”

There are times in our lives when it is important to notice what is cluttering our lives.  After I clear out things in my house, I feel like my life has become simpler… there is less to hold me down.

Movement:  from clutter to simplicity

As we move from the cold, wintry months into a new season, maybe it is time to “Spring Clean Our Lives” — to clear out thoughts and opinions that have frozen our perceptions of others.  We might move from being removed and distant to learning more about a loved one, a friend, a colleague... or even a stranger.  Releasing tense moments may lighten how we move forward.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful to transform an icy relationship  — where we have learned to be careful with what we say — into new moments of discovery and awareness?  It would be like the Spring growth we see around us:  new life springing up from the soil of our lives.


Movement:  from cold and distant

As a child, I recall that Mom would coordinate the spring cleaning in our house.  It seemed easier and more fun when there were others sharing in the process of opening cupboards and closets, taking out clothes no longer worn, washing the walls, mopping and waxing the floors… and even planting new flowers outside.  There was a common purpose and goal: to create a better living space for our family; to bring us together as we helped one another.

Other times, friends would be visiting that evening.   Our perceptive young minds would associate the cleaning with their visit.   As we were vacuuming, mopping, and putting away toys strewn around the house, we would ask:  “Who’s coming over?”   Many times, Mom would say, “This is for us!  Don’t you want to live in a clean house?”


Movement:  from darkness to light
I have noticed that there are times when it is difficult to clear out certain aspects of my life.  When this happens, I have found that asking for help lightens the load.  A path becomes clearer when someone else listens and sorts out what I have tossed around.  Becoming aware of my inner resistance and talking about it with another person encourages me to change.  The movement from darkness to light invites a new perspective of what holds me back.  Sharing the burden lightens the load and allows me to move forward.

Dialogue allows me to see and understand different aspects of a situation.  In a way, we are creating a better space to live in… for us… together!

Questions to consider:

  • What part of my life feels cluttered or over-stuffed with past hurts? 
  • How might I release some of these memories? 
  • In what ways can I unlock perceptions and conclusions that hold me back? 

Is it time to begin a clear out in your life?  Maybe today?  Need any help? 

Blessings to you!  May your burdens be lightened this week!

Larry Gardepie


(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment