Sunday, February 17, 2019

When Do We Open Our Eyes?

I am at that age when I am not as nimble, stumble more, and find myself super cautious when walking outside.  It may be due to uneven sidewalks, potholes in the streets, and the e-scooters and bikes scattered around public areas... or... it may be due to getting older!

As I consider these changes in my body and my slower reflexes, I also wonder about the flexibility and adaptability of my thinking.  How often do I close my eyes (and maybe, my mind) to what is happening around me?  How much have I experienced before and am now slower in my willingness to respond and discuss my ideals and values?  Am I developing a longer view of life's mysteries and realize a shorter time to solve any of them?


Are we the first to close our eyes?
* * Click on comic to enlarge * *
(Photo credit:  Pickles, by Brian Crane, 01/15/18)
Through practicing dialogue these past several years, I have been learning that slowing down is actually wise and necessary.  Rather than holding onto conclusions so rashly conceived, I am slowly developing tools to identify assumptions and ask questions of myself and others.

It is almost like opening our eyes after a long sleep and recognizing that there is so much more to see and experience!  In fact, various phases of our lives allow us to acknowledge stages of understanding we move through.  Accepting that every aspect of life invites us to see with a brighter light, we experience a newness not considered before.

Are we willing to wait and experience all phases?
(Photo credit:  25 facts you should know about the
August 21, 2017 solar eclipse, Astronomy)
There is a wonderment when previously unconsidered ideas and options emerge between Self and Other.  It is like a light bulb above a cartoon character or fireworks exploding overhead or a friend's eyes seeing you for the first time.  Thoughts are shared and respected.  Dialogue and inquiry provide moments of curiosity, understanding and acceptance.

We see differently, but we are okay.  We realize there is no need to fear the other.  We coexist, each with our own ideals and values intact.

Do new ideas spark new understanding?

Questions to consider this week:
  • When do I not want to see or understand another person's view?
  • How might I open up to ask questions of discovery?
  • Am I willing to invite others to question my long-held beliefs?

This week, may we notice when our eyes are intentionally closed to disturbances around us.  May we attempt to open our eyes just a little... and peek through the bars of our eye-lashed prisons.  May we seek to understand and be understood.

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment