Sunday, June 9, 2019

Meaning: when is...

When is a tree not a tree?  When are shoes not shoes?  When do we shift what we don't know into knowing?  Pretty heady questions for today!

I have been pondering how I know what I know, and how I learned various meanings of: right, wrong; good, bad; people to talk to or not.  As I considered these questions, I noticed that meanings I gave things and my outlook on life have shifted as:

  • I gained knowledge and experience;
  • I explored my city, country, and world;
  • I met people who have different life stories.

It seems that the beauty of what we know becomes greater or more important as beliefs and knowledge are tested and exposed to seemingly contrary views.

Meaning:  How do we know what we know?

Recently, I noticed a dead tree in my neighborhood come back to life... but not in the way I expected!  Over a course of several days and weeks, shoes began to appear on the tree.  Only a few at first, but then more and more.

I wondered what the shoes signified:
  • A place to offer shoes to the shoe-less?
  • A work of art?
  • A cultural symbol of wealth and prosperity?

The shoes added meaning and life to the dead tree.  Its purpose had changed. 
But, could it still be considered "a tree"? 


Meaning:  How do we shift what we know?

Last month I was walking through the Mission District of San Francisco and came across Clarion Alley.  Halfway down the alley, shoes were dangling from the overhead power lines.  I wondered: what was the significance of discarded shoes in an alley where public murals depicted people's passions and messages of hope and justice.  Without someone to ask, my mind began creating meaning.

Maybe what we believe, understand, and add meaning to shifts throughout our lives.

Meaning:  When do we throw away what holds us back?
(Clarion Alley, San Francisco)

One of the Dialogue Skills encourages us to Look for contradicting data and alternative explanations.  Our ideas, opinions, and beliefs are tested when we describe our position and invite discussion.  That is, when we have an open mind to hear other points of view.  Unlike my encounter with the shoes in the alley -- where my mind quickly filled in the gaps, we are invited to seek out the answers with the help of others.  Instead of adhering to false assumptions and conclusions, we are challenged to search for truth and understanding... together!

When is a tree not a tree?  When are shoes not shoes?  When do we shift what we don't know into knowing?  Do you know?


May this week allow opportunities to seek not to be understood but to understand.

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)


No comments:

Post a Comment