Sunday, September 29, 2019

Journeys to...

A group of kayakers floated around a bend of the Colorado River, coming close to where we were standing.  As bystanders, we were interested in seeing how these intrepid adventurers would navigate the rough waters ahead.  Most in the group stayed close to shore.  One ventured closer to the middle of the river... and was overwhelmed and nearly capsized by the rushing waters.

I admired all of the individuals: those who sought safety and the one who risked a different experience.  They were not bystanders, but were willing to engage the river and test their skills in ways that were appropriate for them.

How do I engage the rough waters of dialogue:  as a bystander or an adventurer?

How do you approach rough waters?
Besides possible rough waters of dialogue engagement, there may be times when we meander through twists and turns in our conversations, seeking ways to reach a mutual destination.

Am I patient with others when dialogue takes unexpected turns?

Are you willing to engage winding roads?

It seems that if we are willing to set aside our preconceived ideas of what is safe to discuss and where the conversation will take us -- entering the conversation with patience -- we may be able to journey together down roads that are rough and seem to have no predictable ending.

Through this process of discovery, when we appreciate the peaks and valleys that characterize the highs and lows of life, we can reflect on and share the impact that we have on one another.

Do I see others as Companions on this journey?

Where do you find yourself mostly: peaks or valleys?

I know that my life has taken many twists and turns.  I have not ended up the person I thought I would be.  Sometimes, I have come to understand a Wholeness -- a Holy-ness --  in Self and Others.  Maybe that has been the reason for the journey all along!

Questions that emerge this week:

  • Do I walk alongside you as an equal companion?
  • Can I carry part of your load when you may need assistance?
  • Am I open to your offer when I am not meant to walk alone?

May we notice this week when we are bystanders, when we seek safety, and when we are willing to risk getting to know each other.

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)




No comments:

Post a Comment