Sunday, October 6, 2019

Spending Life's Coins

I find that dialogue comes in many forms:
  • Through what we feel safe to share and what others reveal to us.
  • Through actions we and others take - which inspires Thoughts Shared.
  • Through internal tapes that create Dialogue Within.

In all of these instances, we are exchanging time with who we value: loved ones, friends, and self.  Dialogue, thus, becomes the currency by which we negotiate Life's Moments.

Do you regret the coins you spend on others?
~ ~ ~ Click on image to enlarge ~ ~ ~

(Photo Credit: Pickles, Brian Crane, August 20, 2019)

I recall when Mom received her first annual token of sobriety.  She had worked hard -- daily -- to win back the trust that alcohol had eroded in our family.  It was a lesson for all of us:
  • How easily we can lose what we value.
  • How difficult it is to earn and keep trust.
  • How important it is to celebrate the times we succeed.

That first token was meaningful for Mom and my family, but each token she received until her death demonstrated what she valued:  the ability to seek a healthy relationship with family and friends... and maybe, more importantly, with herself.

What coins have you collected?
(Photo credit:  AA Medallion)

Dialogue is one tool that invites us to build and explore strong relationships.  The gifts of honesty and integrity are purchased when we can:
  • Advocate a position AND seek other opinions.
  • Provide context for our understanding AND listen to other interpretations.
  • Admit when a conclusion is faulty AND learn from these mistakes.

How much have you spent?

(Photo credit:  A Day in My Quote Book;  Quote credit:  Tony Evans)

Just as I review my annual budget and understand how my hard-earned money is spent, maybe I need to reflect on the Dialogue Coins I collect and spend.  I wonder what I will find?  Where am I spending these Life's Coins?  What do I value?  How do I demonstrate it?  How do I celebrate?

May the coins you spend this week bring happiness and fulfillment to your relationships.



Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)






2 comments:

  1. That reminds me of an old song we sang in 4-H.... some of the words were, "it's just like a magic penny...hold it tight and you won't have any...lend it, spend it, you'll have so many...they'll roll all over the floor!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great song, Darcy! And wonderful lesson! I wonder how often we hold onto our way of being without knowing how to "lend and spend" what we see and experience?

      Delete