Saturday, April 8, 2023

A Life of Contrasts

Isn't it amazing what our "smart phones" can do these days!  Besides guiding our daily activities using calendar, reminder, exercise, and health applications, we can stay in touch by texting, emails, social media... and the phone!  We can even monitor and control our "smart homes"!  And the camera captures memories that call us back to that moment when we stood still and wanted to remember.

On a recent trip, I was exploring the editing functions of my phone's camera.  Before playing with these features, I always prided myself at capturing what I saw -- as it was -- without embellishments.  I didn't realize all of the ways that I could crop, adjust, and photo-shop a picture with my phone.  It felt like cheating!

How often do you see a situation as "black and white"?
(Photo: South Seas Sunset - Larry Gardepie)

In the past, our cameras needed the correct film -- color or black-and-white -- and the right speed.  We adjusted the camera settings to match the film purchased, and we had to take 12, 24, or 36 pictures until that roll of film was used before changing to another speed or color.  It took time to have the film processed before we received the photos and could view our creations... and mistakes!

Now, within seconds, we can take a photo, review it, delete or reshoot it, edit and share it with family and friends.  Reviewing and remembering those photo-moments is much more fleeting as well.

When do you soften a situation to your comfort level?
(Photo: South Seas Sunset - Larry Gardepie)

As I was testing my phone camera's edit features, I wondered about what we have gained -- and lost -- as we manipulate what we see and capture.  Just as our physical tools (phones, tablets, and computers) have changed our way of connecting with the world, so too have our mental models:

  • How we search for our likes, dislikes and interests;
  • Where we go for news and entertainment; and,
  • What we decide is true and relevant.

I must admit, there are times when I only want to see the Either-Or ("black-and-white") of a situation -- or -- I soften the contrasts of a situation to not feel so uncomfortable -- or -- I accept the true colors, understanding that Both-And is a possibility.

Can you sit with the beauty of the moment...As It Is?
(Photo: South Seas Sunset - Larry Gardepie)

I wonder how often in life we want to guide, monitor, control and edit the circumstances and contrasts of a situation?  Through awareness and reflection, we are invited to notice how our filters and mental models adjust what we are seeing and experiencing.  The question after noticing our filters is whether we can accept the beauty in the current situation -- As It Is.

Though I liked the editing features of my phone camera, I must admit... I enjoy the challenge of centering its lens on what is happening now, and knowing that the photo has not been adjusted allows my fading memory of that day to be revisited -- As It Was.

May the blessings of this Holy Season of Ramadan, Passover, and Easter draw us back to the spiritual reflection and growth of our traditions... the memories of How It Was... and Is... today!

P.S.  Which one of the three photos did you like the best -- and why?

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)



1 comment:

  1. The middle one. There is something about the color that feels “just right.” Not too stark (B & W) and not too yellow.

    ReplyDelete