Sunday, November 15, 2015

A Key to Dialogue: Encountering the SWAV Within

Speaking of Dialogue, Gates and Keys (last week's post), I have come to realize that one of the keys to Dialogue is an awareness of SWAV.

I remember when I was seven years old, our second grade teacher was preparing my class for "First Holy Communion."  As young Roman Catholics, we were being taught about the "real presence" and to genuflect before the church tabernacle since "God lived in the church."  Being second graders we took everything so literally, and would wave to God or genuflect as we passed the church building on the way to school.

Our teacher, to further along our second grade "theology," reasoned that if God lives in each one of us, shouldn't we also be genuflecting to one another?  That was my first encounter with the concept of Sacred Worth and Value: the SWAV in each of us!

Cathedrale Saint Louis Versailles Tabernacle
As I grew older, I lost sight of this beautiful lesson of bowing or genuflecting to others.  Through my parents, my brothers, sisters, and I were taught to respect others - even those we may not like.  It was when I began hiking, camping, and running in the country that I encountered the Sacred in the world around us.  The majestic mountains, the delicate butterfly, the magical rainbow, the mystical reflections in the lakes and streams... all were writing a story in my heart of the Creator's goodness.  No longer was God limited to the church building!  Instead, I began to re-encounter God through the world and its diverse populations.


Grand Tetons in Spring (Jerry Singleton)
Now, as I try to practice Dialogue through the Contemplative Dialogue "stances" and the Dynamic Dialogue "ways of being," I am humbled by the daily projections and reflections of the Sacred Worth and Value in the people around me.  As I listen and become curious of our life stories, I recall the child-like wonder and desire to bow before you, thankful that our paths have crossed.  To complete the second grade concept of Sacred Mystery so many years ago by Sr. Ann Thomas, I am moved to joy about the SWAV Within - the Sacredness of you and me!  As we dialogue, we are reminded - and invited - to hold one another not only with respect but with an understanding of how special we are!

I end with a Hindu word, Namaste: "I bow to the divine in you"!

Larry Gardepie

No comments:

Post a Comment