Sunday, November 29, 2015

Noticing: The Art of Navigating the Waters of Our Lives

One of the Dialogue "stances" or "ways of being" is noticing, the ability to slow down and become aware of what is happening within and around ourselves.  When I first learned about this skill, I found myself drawn into a sense of wonder:  it seemed as if I had forgotten what it was like to "be present" and "in the moment."  Instead, I had accepted the illusion of social media and the smart devices that are so much a part of our world; and rather than being connected to others, I had become distracted and wasn't always curious about the lives of others.

When I do remember to slow down, check out what I notice, and ask questions to clarify what I have seen or heard, there seems to be a calmness and a shimmering lightness upon the waters which nourish my life.  And, there is a sharper focus to the relationships I have with myself and with others.


Over these past two years, I have noticed something else about myself:  I have a tendency sometimes to worry about the dark storm clouds that gather on the horizon or I become distracted by the white caps of the rough waters that surround me. 


I am learning that when I practice noticing and awareness in the calm waters, these skills come more readily as I move ahead.  The lessons I learn propel me forward and I no longer focus on the wake behind me.
 

As we begin this week's journey dawning before us, I would propose the following questions as guides:
  • What keeps me from slowing down and noticing?
  • When - or with whom - do I notice shimmering light or stormy darkness upon the waters of my life?  (What relationships are smooth or which are more turbulent?)
  • As I slow down and notice these relationships, how can I observe, listen, and ask questions to better understand the other person?


And, at the end of the day:
  • What did I do this day that created a difference?
  • Where did I bring energy and beauty into this world?


May your journey this week be full of new adventures!

Larry Gardepie

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this reflection. Really helps me be mindful of the importance of being present and noticing with clarity.
    Steve Wirth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steve! Your example of mindful awareness and intentionality have encouraged me to slow down, lean in, and listen more deeply!

    ReplyDelete