Saturday, June 4, 2016

Questions: Wisps of Clouds Reshaping Who We Are

Have you ever sat quietly in a room of people with the whole conversation centered on asking questions?  A few months ago, our Community of Practice was invited to "practice asking questions."  We focused our questions on the dialogue community itself, with some of the questions centering on:
  • Who are we?
  • Where are we headed?
  • Has - or how has - the Dialogue practice shaped or reshaped us?
  • Plus, any other question that an individual felt comfortable to ask.
The goal was simple: practice asking questions.  We were encouraged to allow the questions to sit quietly in our midst, with no intention of answering the questions or engaging in a dialogue or a discussion about the questions or topics.  Months later I remember how amazing that experience was!
Questions: wisps of thoughts floating in our midst
Reflections on that time together:
  • Our questions formed a conversation in and of itself.
  •  Many of the questions flowed together, overlapped or added to what others were asking; yet each question introduced a new idea or thought that enriched us.
  • How often we want to "solve" a situation rather than allowing it to "just be."
  • Sitting and listening to each other - without having an expectation to answer the questions - creating a freedom to listen more intently, outwardly and inwardly.
  • This moment of inquiry created a spaciousness that was sacred, expanding beyond any one person.
Questions illuminated our understanding
I wonder if that is how clouds feel?  Wisps of individual elements in the vast sky; joined together and moving beyond; forming into one shape that we seem to recognize, and then moving into different forms of individual and communal awareness.  Isn't it interesting how  Light can play on these wisps of gathered elements, drawing forth new beauty?

As I move into this new week - recalling an experience months ago, I am reminded to practice asking questions of myself, of you, and of us.  Phrases that may open us to new discoveries:
  • I am curious about...
  • I notice... and I wonder... 
  • I assume...
  • Help me understand... 
All of these are ways for me to enter into Spaciousness and Sacredness, to understand who I am in relationship with: You!

And so, I am left to wonder: what questions do you have of me? 

Larry Gardepie

No comments:

Post a Comment