Sunday, November 6, 2016

This Season, I Choose TOO...

Autumn is here:  Fall colors are everywhere!  Ever since I was young, it seemed that the seasonal holidays of Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas raced by... as well as the holy days that many religions celebrate at this time of year.  For me, this season seems to be a blur of activity, sometimes overwhelming.  It is as if Life is packed to overflowing... much like the traditional cornucopia with the harvest fruits spilling out.

Enjoying this season of harvest and color
Continuing last week's theme of This Day, I Choose To..., I have been wondering how to extend my choices into this season of Harvest, Thanksgiving, and Joy.  And, not to mention what may be on everyone's minds this week, choices that can be made with Tuesday's election results.

In reading through the various definitions of Autumn and why this one season has two terms (Autumn and Fall), I was attracted by a simple phrase, "a time of full maturity."  The journey through the Spring-time of New Birth through a Summer of Growth and Production culminates in a Maturity of Harvest, waiting to be gathered and shared.  And soon, the Winter months invite a period of death-like slowing down, contemplation, and rest.  Each season welcomes change.

A Labyrinthine Journey:
centered on each step we take toward the center
As I reflected on what choices I might encounter in this journey toward full maturity, I recalled a mantra that Elizabeth Vargas mentioned in her new book, Between Breaths: A Memoir of Panic and AddictionThe mantra presents an opportunity to interrupt our active livesIt can be combined with the elements of breathing and walking:  breathe in, take one step, and say one phrase:
  • [Breather, step, and sayMay I be calm.
  • [Breather, step, and sayMay I be peaceful.
  • [Breather, step, and sayMay I be happy.
  • [Breather, step, and sayMay I be healthy.

Another choice: sitting with others to ask and listen to their experiences:
  • How are you experiencing this season?
  • What are the holidays like for you?
  • Who do you miss?

An invitation to sit, listen, and be present
As I wonder about this season of plenty, I am realizing again that choices fall before me:
  • A choice to slow down and notice.
  • A choice to listen and be thankful.
  • A choice to accept results and begin renewed dialogue and discovery.
 
Did I notice?
A single leaf brings beauty to my journey.
Questions to consider this week:
  • What choices do I have this season and this election cycle?
  • Where in my life do I need to be calm, peaceful, happy and healthy?
  • What choices can I make to move my dialogue journey toward a time of full maturity?

May this week draw us to embrace the Autumn moments of our lives: times to harvest the Fruits of Choice! 

Larry Gardepie

No comments:

Post a Comment