Sunday, October 30, 2016

This Day, I Choose To...

Time is an interesting tool when observing changes we cannot readily see each day!

Several years ago:  I co-facilitated an 8-week breakfast seminar series entitled, Business Leaders and Spirituality.  The first session presented ways to identify and live out values important to us.  The challenge: how to make daily decisions through the lens of these values.

Recently: I came across what I wrote down, the values important to me at that time in my lifeFor me, those values centered on the word, CHOICE.


Now... years later... I am reflecting on how well I embodied those values:
  • Which values proved to be the most important?
  • Which defined who I am currently?
  • Which have been the most challenging?
And, most significantly:  how often did I remember that I had a choice?


I choose to... see another perspective.
 From a Hallmark Card  (Artist: Dan Regan):
"A bad day is all about perspective"
One year agoI finished a two-year study program on Contemplative Dialogue, AND... I began this Dialogue San Diego blog(Happy Anniversary!)   The blog has been an attempt at continued study, reflection, and practice on how to incorporate the various dialogue skills.

Now:  I wonder, when we slow down and consider various stages of our lives, do we see common threads or patterns shaping who we are becoming?  Are we aware of these moments as they happen or only in hindsight?  (I'd invite your thoughts and comments:  what do you think?)

I choose to... create, to get my hands dirty.

Each of us has been molded through different familial and communal events, education, work, and life experiences.  We have been touched by others.  We have touched others.  We have shaped one another.  I hope, we have impacted one another positively; but I admit, I have made mistakes and may have hurt or misunderstood the people around me.

The questions I am facing these confusing and complex days:
  • How open am I to another perspective and experience?
  • What do I do with my embarrassment or shame when I realize I have hurt you?
  • Am I willing to place my puzzle piece on the table for the shared value of discovering a different reality with you?  With us?
I choose to... contribute to the Common Good.
(Entrepreneurial Ambitions, June 7, 2012)

These questions have become more troubling for me in the wake of the current political environment:
  • Looking backour nation has experienced years of polarized views which have separated us.
  • Reflecting recentlyour current climate of distrust and accusations is toxic and seems unending.
  • And now:  a question.... Do we really want to move forward with this increasingly deadly environment? 

I am reminded of Aibileen Clark (Viola Davis) in the movie, The Help: "Ain't you tired, Ms. Hilly?  Ain't you tired?"  Aren't we all tired?

So, I wonder (and I would like to hear your thoughts):  I believe there is a hidden thread, a lifeline, that we can draw on from our past:  I have a Choice - AND - We have a Choice.  

That is,
  • Can I come together with you to Dialogue on what is important... for You... for Me... for Us?
  • Can I place my Peace on the table, inviting you to do the same... and listening? 
  • Can I trust in the common-truth and common-unity (Community) that will shape a better world?
And, maybe more importantly:
  • Am I ready to see the beauty in who you are: a Citizen, a Candidate, an Immigrant, an Undocumented, a World Citizen... a Person of Sacred Worth and Value?

I choose to... see the beauty around me.
(Photographer: Dan Bush, Elam Bend, Missouri)

May this Healing Choice be with us this week and the weeks ahead!

Larry Gardepie

No comments:

Post a Comment