Sunday, December 4, 2016

Working from Strengths: Words and Images

Earlier this year I was working with a local companyTheir goal was to identify strengths that each individual brought to the team; their hope was to encourage each person to work from these strengths; and their desire was to be a team that valued each person.  It was an honor to witness people being praised for doing excellent work!

Such a different experience than other work environments I have explored: where it seems as if a supervisor is waiting to "Catch you" doing something wrong!  In fact, how often - in the name of improvements or efficiencies - employees are placed in unwinnable situations as changes to their jobs produce failures and motivation falls?

I am sure we have heard this quote once or twice in our work lives:

"A chain is no stronger than its weakest link, and life is after all a chain."
~ William James
 
At times our corporate culture wants to "vote someone off the island" or remove the "weakest link"
When do you feel your weakest?

I also have the pleasure of working with a software Functional Support team that tries to listen to customers, trainers, account managers, technical support, developers, and sales... all, in their own way, trying to improve the company's software products.

At first, my inexperience in this new arena seemed to accentuate my weaknesses.  But the other team members were patient, encouraging, and helped me to identify the strengths that I added to the team dynamicOne member understands the technical components; another member is a strong bridge-builder; another is visionary and community-focused... and I, I think in images!

Dialogue opens the door between
differing viewpoints and observations
(Image from Dialogue San Diego Consulting

When Mike and I teamed up on several projects, he suggested that we work out of our strengths.  We took time to describe how we experienced one another and what strengths we saw in the other person.  Wow!  Hearing someone else recognize you and acknowledge what you contribute!  I felt valued!  These conversations opened avenues of trust and honesty.  When I didn't understand a concept, I felt freer to ask for help.  I contributed more openly.

Mike was better at structuring conceptual changes to the software; whereas I could translate his functional specs (words) into screenshots (images).  What we produce together is better than anything we could have done separately. 

Words and Images: melding together facts and ideas
(Image from Noah Rosenheck - UX/UI Design)
These experiences have shown me that through dialogue we open ourselves to a newer and better world.  It takes new Ways of Being:
  • Awareness:  how do I see myself?  how do I experience others?
  • Compassion:  can I show kindness to myself?  to another person?
  • Interdependence:  am I willing to see the connection between me and you?
  • Creative Freedom:  am I open to sharing and hearing ideas, waiting to be awed by new possibilities?
What are your strengths?

The invitation this week is to practice Awareness and CompassionTake time to reflect on your strengths (Awareness), and be kind as you or your friends talk through strengths and perceived shortcomings (Compassion).

Some questions to consider:
  • What work or activities do you find life-giving?
  • Where do you experience high-energy and have fun?
  • When do you feel you have accomplished something important?  

Sit with this list, and enjoy the moment of discovery!  Your strengths are needed right now!

May this week reveal how special you are and how courageous people can change the world!


Larry Gardepie
Dialogue San Diego Consulting

No comments:

Post a Comment