Saturday, September 23, 2017

Home, Adventure, the Unexpected: What are We Seeking?

I don't know about you, but there are times I just want to be at Home - a warm, comfortable, welcoming environment where loved ones and friends can relax and just be.  There are other times when I seek Adventure - taking risks to say or do something outside of my comfort zone.  And then there are moments of Unexpected Beauty - unplanned gifts that cause me to pause.

I wonder what it is like for my family and friends when they engage me?  Are they encountering the Stay-at-Home or the Let's-Take-a-Risk person?  And what happens
 when my actions or moods are interpreted incorrectly?  How do they experience my response?

Home:  where do we seek comfort?
(Lighthouse:  Cabrillo National Monument, San Diego)
What do you do when people say or do the 'wrong' thing?  I think that I become embarrassed -- for myself and for them!  And I internalize a lot of questions: 
  • Why did s/he say that? 
  • Do they really see me that way? 
  • Why am I so irritated at this person? 

And, most importantly, why didn't I see the beauty in that person... FIRST?  Would I take the risk to reach out more if I would pause and wait for the Beauty-Within to be revealed?

Adventure:  where do we risk?
(Tidepools:  Cabrillo National Monument)
I am learning -- sometimes too late for that past encounter -- to ask questions and try to understand the person's thoughts and intentions.  But, I am finding there is still hope for me!

It might be too late for the earlier reaction or embarrassment... but I may be just-in-time to notice you and encounter you a little differently!  It is in these moments of reflection and awareness that I can seek the unexpected in you, in me, and in the way We become Us - the unexpected beauty revealed!


Unexpected:  where do we see beauty?
(Tidepools:  Cabrillo National Monument)

Waiting -- like I did at the tidepools of the Cabrillo National Monument -- allows a scene of beauty to splash over and create a new experience.

May this week invite comfortable risks to seek beauty in the most unexpected ways!


Larry Gardepie
Dialogue San Diego Consulting


No comments:

Post a Comment