Sunday, October 29, 2017

Reflections: What Do We See... and When?

Early one morning I was standing at a window looking outside, trying to see the ocean and the port our ship was approaching.  The light inside was much stronger than outside, where it was still dark.  Instead of seeing outside, I was looking at a reflection of myself in the window.

Reflection:  Looking Inward
Once the sun began to lighten the world outside, my reflection could still be seen... but it was diminished as I began to focus on the waters and land beyond.  The dialogue skills came to mind: what lessons could I learn from the images reflected on the window and beyond?

It took time for the sun to rise and re-balance what could be seen... just as it takes time for me to become aware of what is happening within myself and to those around me.  Dialogue encourages us to explore these Within-Moments and What-Have-I-Missed Experiences.

Reflection:  Seeing Outward

As I walked around the ship's Promenade Deck thinking about the inward and outward flow of dialogue, I turned the corner of the ship and came upon a glorious sunrise that exploded with color across the clouds and over the water!

As we practice Dialogue, we will be challenged to:
  • Turn inward and notice:  what values and meanings we have attached to experiences, and the conclusions we have made about people in our lives;
  • Turn outward with curiosity:  to seek and accept how others encounter the world; and,
  • Wait patiently... but with anticipation:  for the surprises that awaken us as we encounter an enlightened understanding of Self and Others.

Reflection:  Waiting to be Surprised!

Questions to consider this week:
  • When I look at my reflection in the mirror:  What do I see?  What do I think?  What do I feel?
  • When I am with loved ones, friends, and work colleagues:  What do I hear?  What do I expect?  How do I react?
  • When I am surprised:  Is the surprise about me, or what I discovered in others? 

May this week open us to inward and outward reflections which will enlighten us and provide beautiful surprises!


Larry Gardepie
Dialogue San Diego Consulting

2 comments:

  1. I always enjoy reading your insights! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Darcy, for your support! I enjoy our monthly chats and learn so much from you!

    ReplyDelete