Sunday, March 18, 2018

From Autopilot to Moments of Awe

Self-driving cars... the wave of the future?  I would propose that this transportation style is already here!  Think about it:
  • When was the last time you arrived home and couldn't remember portions of the drive?
  • Have you noticed how often people focus on their smartphone while walking or driving?
  • What about your last conversation with a friend or loved one: Can you recall what the other person said?  Or, is the last impression what you felt or thought? 

In many ways, we have become so preoccupied or distracted that we miss what is happening around us!  Sometimes I am on autopilot - that is, "doing something automatically, without self-awareness."  How about you?

Driver-less Days: being on autopilot
(Photo credit:  Totalcar Magazin, Hungary)
Did you see Ben Hines' photo of two-year old Parker Curry a few weeks ago?  Childlike wonder, gazing intently, being awestruck at Michelle Obama's portrait.  For me, this photo had its cuteness-factor, but it also surfaced a series of questions: 
  • When was the last time I was so focused, in the present moment?
  • Do I see you and experience you... as you are?  Or, do I focus on how I have experienced you (past) or how I want to see you (future)?
  • Can I stand still, in wonder and amazement, at the gift before me?

In Awe:  experiencing childlike wonder
 (Photo credit: Ben Hines, North Carolina)

Recently, I watched the sun set behind the island of Lanai, Hawaii, and explode across the sky.  The light played off the ever-changing clouds, each moment more spectacular than the previous!  I stood in wonder, waiting for the next revelation to unfold.  As the daylight receded into evening, I felt awe-filled, inspired, complete.  I was present.

Grandeur Revealed:  waiting and anticipating
(Hawaiian sunset, Lanai, Hawaii)
I believe dialogue plays a similar role in our lives... if we open ourselves:
  • To move from autopilot to a state of anticipation.
  • To expect discovery, seeing a different viewpoint.
  • To invite new insights to expand within.

This week, may we notice when we are on self-pilot, and gently move to a state of awareness.  May we seek moments of awe and inspiration.


Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment