Sunday, May 27, 2018

Information: Unsaid, Missing, and Shared

A friend of mine uses a phrase, "I'd rather have a root canal," when presented with an unpleasant situation or task.  For me and for others, we are given a humorous but clear message of what this friend does not want to do!

When I accompanied this friend to a medical procedure as the "designated driver," I thought I knew what he meant after the procedure when he groggily referred to the "root canal as still hurting."  What made the situation unusual: the attending nurse laughed.

What was I missing?  And why wasn't the nurse taking his pain seriously?

How often do we question "Something Unsaid"?
(Photo Credit:  Pickles, by Brian Crane - January 18, 2018)
Once the anesthesia wore off, I recounted the experience to my friend, recalling the nurse's response to his pain.  I found out there was more to the story:

Just before the procedure began, the medical professionals asked my friend the standard identity question:  What is your full name and date of birth?  Answering these correctly, they stated the procedure that would be performed.  In mock surprise, he responded:  "I didn't know I was coming in here for that, I thought I was here for a root canal?"

Apparently, it caught everyone off guard:  silence; people stopped their preparations; followed by laughter.  Even the doctor smiled!

When do we realize "Something Missing"?
(Photo Credit:  Bullet in a Maelstrom, World Press)

I wonder how often we think we fully know our loved ones, friends and colleagues only to be surprised when new information is shared?  Stories Shared and Stories Remembered may be different.  In fact, there may even be Stories Missing!

When do we experience "Something Whole"?
Photo Credit:  American Rivers)
As I grow older, it seems to be increasingly important to slow down and ask the following:
  • What is being said -- and -- what is unsaid?
  • Am I missing important pieces of information?
  • Can I explore or be open to new information with a sense of curiosity and wonder?

It seems that the
Life Story of Self-and-Other is continually unfolding.  Isn't that exciting?!

May we wait in anticipation this week, with a willingness to explore the New Chapters being  written and revealed!


Larry Gardepie


(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment