Sunday, April 19, 2020

Demanding to be Open

How are you doing in this era of COVID-19?

From talking to others, it seems we have something in common:  we are learning to navigate new Ways of Being.

Examples:
  • Creating new structures and self-discipline to get through the day
  • Staying connected socially with virtual koffee klatches, happy hours, and reunions
  • Home schooling children while balancing work responsibilities

It seems that flexibility and adaptability are skill sets that are being explored the most!  That is, the willingness to adjust, explore, and seek new approaches.

Are we open to dialogue?
(Photo credit:  Jeff Kowalsky, Getty Images)
But, as we have seen recently in the media, people are frustrated with the losses and limitations that are being encountered each day.  As I have watched some of these protests, I have wondered about my own self-protests:
  • How do I balance my needs with those of others?
  • What methods of protest are appropriate and effective?
  • Is there a hidden or explicit demand to being heard?

We must admit, these are unprecedented times where previous answers may not work and current solutions may not be clearly identified or forthcoming.

Are we willing to hold lightly -- to be flexible and adaptable -- as we experience these disruptions?  Can we seek results that benefit both Self and Others?

How do we react when we don't like what we've heard?
(Photo credit:  Reducing Family Arguments, Because.uk.com)


This is when dialogue is most important and necessary!

Questions to consider:
  • Can I advocate a position that people may not want to hear... and invite questions and discussion?
  • Am I willing to postpone judgement and blame... and seek understanding?
  • How do I respect differences... and stay in relationship?

Prior to this COVID-19 era, we experienced division.  I wonder if recent Demands to be Open could foster a desire to be Open to Dialogue?  Are we able to move from discordant voices to harmonious associations that broaden our understanding and inclusion of "We"?

 Can we stay open to multiple views?
(Photo credit, Fred Basset, 5/10/19, Alex Graham)
What demands do you want to voice?  Do you need someone to listen to you?  How might we be open to dialogue?

I am interested in hearing your thoughts.


Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)







2 comments:

  1. Hi Larry, Thanks for your thoughts. Even though we have been staying home for the most part, yesterday took me to VA Hospital in Boise, leaving my husband there for treatment and not being able to go with him.It's not a good feeling to be doing that and I can only get comfort knowing that they are taking good care of him. Thankful that it's not this virus, but there is always the unknown. Many are going through this and I feel compassion for all that are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you are correct... there are many stories where separation and the unknown fill our lives right now. I hope that compassion, empathy, and understanding prevail as we move from individual to community to individual. We can only do the best we know how. My prayers and love are with you, your husband, and your family. Please keep me updated (via FB updates or email).

      Delete