Saturday, June 25, 2022

Wandering and Wondering

This is the first time in over 5 years that I have had difficulty writing this weekly blog!  Normally, I write about what I am noticing that week:  conversations with friends and loved ones; encounters with strangers in public areas; reflections as I consider my past and present... wondering about our future together.

This week, though, I am overwhelmed with scenes of unrest, harsh words, and anger; political parties with differing agendas; people watching and reacting (or not) to the January 6th hearings and SCOTUS decisions; COVID lingering in our midst...

As we move on with our daily lives, I wonder if we are ignoring the seriousness of this moment in time.  Are we seeking to return to Normal... but haven't realized the Past Normal no longer exists, has disappeared, or has been destroyed by our anger or indifference?

What foundations in our lives need to be repaired?
(Photo: wharf destroyed by fire, Astoria, Oregon,
Larry Gardepie)

I am aware of a numbness in my outlook.  My ability to consider solutions, seek advice from others, or look for possibilities is being challenged with the circumstances we face as a society.  An example of inconsistencies I am noticing:  just a few months ago, one group of people was frustrated and angry when choice was taken away from them (having to wear a mask in public settings or get a vaccine in order to keep a job).  Now, other choices are being eliminated or threatened to be taken away... and some of these same people are on news outlets celebrating decisions to remove these choices from others.

I understand that there is a fine balance between individual rights, decisions being imposed on others, and what is good and proper for everyone.  I wonder, though, do we notice when our own views tip the balance in our favor and away from another person's beliefs?

Where do you have balance in your life?
(Photo credit:  Miyoko Shida Rigolo, Georgia's Got Talent)

I have questioned since grade school why one person or group has to dominate or always WIN... forcing the other person or group to be humiliated with LOSS:  we celebrate our win but are oblivious to the pain being felt by others.  How might we walk together... and away from this dualism of domination, bullying, and having to conquer?

We have several choices before us:

  • Are we willing to stay in relationship with people who experience life differently?
  • Can we set aside our ignorance, disbelief, anger and violence to ask questions and seek understanding?
  • Are we able to coexist and treat everyone respectfully?

Are you willing to wander with others
as we try to understand what is happening?
(Photo credit:  British crinkle-crankle wall, deMilked)


Maybe it is time to set down any weapons of violence, disrespect, and dislike.  Maybe it is time to sit down and discuss our numbness, our confusion, our vulnerability.  Maybe it is time we realize... we need one another!
 
What would it be like to:
  • Accept diverse ideas and opinions?
  • Move away from Win-Lose, Right-Wrong, and Either-Or thinking?
  • Strive for Both-And solutions?


I wonder... is it possible to balance individual and societal needs... of acceptance, worth, value and respect?  I believe the answer is "Yes!"

How are you feeling?  What do you think is happening?  Will you wander and wonder with me? 

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Larry for lifting up this uncomfortable condition of our society. It is a set of feelings I wish we could turn our backs to and walk away. But I am afraid that is not the case. It is a pivotal time for our fragile democracy. I hope we can be sensitive to one another and slowly step forward into the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I too pray for sensitivity in this time period... that I listen to my own version of rightness and am willing to be humble and listen to another possible way. Vulnerability, understanding, nonviolence, and peace will get us through.

      Delete
  2. As one who daily makes the conscious choice to stay in relationship with a partner who’s beliefs are often diametrically opposed to mine, I live the importance of moving toward a unity consciousness. I’ll be honest though; it’s wearisome work during times like these, when I would love nothing more than to go lick the wounds of the “rightness” of my beliefs that seem to be under constant siege. This is where the rubber meets the road. Can we do this work under the most conflicted, chaotic and adverse circumstances? My hope is yes, but the work is bigger than just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hope is "yes" as well... it takes ALL of us to want the best for each other.

      Delete