Sunday, May 9, 2021

Paths Untraveled

Do we realize that we are different people because of this past year?  We have been changed: in how we see ourselves, how we interact, and what we want from life.  Normal is no longer normal: it has become elusive.

I have spent some of these last 14 months cleaning out closets and boxes in the garage.  Years of personal history and forgotten memories have surfaced as today's light shines into boxes reopened, boxes with Past Treasures Saved.

What opportunities have you had in life?


Questions have emerged during this Clearing Out and Life Review -- questions spawned from curiosity, not regret.  For instance, I wonder if there are:

  • Conversations not explored? 
  • Questions not asked?
  • Assumptions not checked out? 
  • Memories not remembered?

What would life have been like if I had:

  • Remained a second grade teacher or a youth minister?
  • Been ordained and followed a ministerial path?
  • Stayed in Human Resources or at the university where I worked for over 23 years?
  • Moved into full-time consulting and mentoring?

 

Do you sometimes go against the flow?

I feel no regrets on the path I have chosen.  I have been blessed beyond measure with work opportunities and challenges, new skills learned and tested, and relationships where love and caring have been shared.  Life's Journey is ongoing: making decisions, reflecting, choosing new adventures and growth... moving along, aging... and hopefully, becoming wiser.
 
I guess that is what I am most surprised at in today's news-filled:  people wanting to get back to the life they had; politicians blocking exploration of solutions for today's needs; and a desire to Go It Alone... as if any of us have all the answers!

How often do you stop and reflect on your journey?

The questions and curiosity I am noticing is about what I have learned about myself, others, and the World Unexplored.  What more can be learned?  I am ever-changing, and so are you!  This is the reason why curiosity is so important:  I thought I knew you... but we have changed!
 
The journey isn't about arriving.  Instead, upon reflection, I am aware of the choices made, paths traveled... AND... what could have been when choices and paths are left untraveled.
 
Not regret or loss, just reflections on blessings received, shared, and unopened.
 
 
May Boxes Unopened surprise you this week with time to reflect... and wonder.

Larry Gardepie

(click on link for website)

No comments:

Post a Comment